Thread poster: Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2007

Recently, a new client wanted to pay for service in advance, then told me that the check was actually issued for more than double the amount of work (which I had not yet received). The client wanted me to refund the additional amount as soon as I received the check.
This is the technique used in the "Nigerian forged check scams" being invest
... See more
Recently, a new client wanted to pay for service in advance, then told me that the check was actually issued for more than double the amount of work (which I had not yet received). The client wanted me to refund the additional amount as soon as I received the check.
This is the technique used in the "Nigerian forged check scams" being investigated by the FDIC.
See http://www.fraudaid.com/Scamspeak/Nigerian/counterfeit_check_fraud/counterfeit_check_03.htm
Beware!
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 16, 2007

A fellow collegue of mine was approached by such scammers. She actually did the translation (a few thousands words). The "client" asked her to pay for the courrier services used to send the actual cheque (which would cover the translation and the courrier services) by transfering the balance via Western Union. Then only she became suspicious. As far as I know, she never recieved the promised cheque...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:10
English to German
+ ...
Numerous forum discussions Jan 16, 2007

Hi Denise,
Search the forum for "bishop scam"; various forms of this fraud have been discussed in the past.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overpayment scam warning

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »