https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/6375-prominent_prolink_hk_sophine_business_manner.html

Prominent Prolink HK (Sophine) business manner
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:23
English to Thai
+ ...
Nov 15, 2002

I wonder how a translation agency who uses international call to hire two interpretators will be dishonest. In fact, the Prominent Prolink HK (by Sophine et at), one of our member did disturbed and annoyed many people in HK and Bangkok by engaing in multiple contracts and disappointed the client in his & her critical business negotiation in Bangkok. It was lilekly that Prolink HK wanted to maximize its profit but bad productivity was given to me as well as my colleages in Thailand and NL.
... See more
I wonder how a translation agency who uses international call to hire two interpretators will be dishonest. In fact, the Prominent Prolink HK (by Sophine et at), one of our member did disturbed and annoyed many people in HK and Bangkok by engaing in multiple contracts and disappointed the client in his & her critical business negotiation in Bangkok. It was lilekly that Prolink HK wanted to maximize its profit but bad productivity was given to me as well as my colleages in Thailand and NL.

Any comments will be appeciated.
[addsig]
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:23
German to English
I wonder too Nov 15, 2002

I wonder how anyone whose English is so bad can claim to be able to translate (or interpretate [sic]) into English.

I have read the posting several times and still don\'t know what the problem is.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bob, I think you're out of line Nov 15, 2002

Who says he handles translations to English himself? For you Bob, it might be normal that everybody in this world is adapting to YOUR standards, but I have news for you: it is NOT. Especially as a translator you should know that.

I find it extremely rude to jump to conclusions without having knowledge of the way Soonthon handles his translations/interpretations. I think you owe Soonthon an apology.

I also encourage Soonthon not to let this get to him, a
... See more
Who says he handles translations to English himself? For you Bob, it might be normal that everybody in this world is adapting to YOUR standards, but I have news for you: it is NOT. Especially as a translator you should know that.

I find it extremely rude to jump to conclusions without having knowledge of the way Soonthon handles his translations/interpretations. I think you owe Soonthon an apology.

I also encourage Soonthon not to let this get to him, as I know how difficult the English language can be for people from Asia. Bob, you have no idea. Ever heard of adjectives that can be put in the past or future tense? Verbs that can be agglutinated to imply the meaning of \"to reluctantly do something\"? Two subjects in one sentence? If not, I strongly encourage you to study an Asian language, as a new world will open for you.

I\'m sure his English is better than your Thai too.

Unfortunately it is not allowed to discuss the business practises of other agencies in this forum, but those of you who paid attention to the forums lately know my opinion on this particular matter. If not, feel free to mail me privately.

I hope my English passes Bob\'s test (I\'m Dutch).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-15 14:08 ]
Collapse

Ingar A. Milnes
Ingar A. Milnes  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Pragmatically seen... Nov 15, 2002

Definitely agree, Loek. The native first or oficial speakers of Asian English dialects added up amount to more people than the population of the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand together (which is probably considered to be the portion of the World, where \"good\" English is spoken). So with a strictly scientific, pragmatical approach to the problem, there is no way one could discard, for example, \"Pilipino\" English (approx 100 million + speakers) to be \"wrong\" or bad - just a bit differ... See more
Definitely agree, Loek. The native first or oficial speakers of Asian English dialects added up amount to more people than the population of the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand together (which is probably considered to be the portion of the World, where \"good\" English is spoken). So with a strictly scientific, pragmatical approach to the problem, there is no way one could discard, for example, \"Pilipino\" English (approx 100 million + speakers) to be \"wrong\" or bad - just a bit different (still within a band-width that would be considered \"dialectical\").Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Understanding English Nov 15, 2002

I understood Soonthon:

I wonder how a translation agency who uses international call to hire two interpretators will be dishonest.

Means:

I don\'t understand why a translation agency that actually calls people abroad in order to hire two interpretors can be dishonest.

In fact, the Prominent Prolink HK (by Sophine et at), one of our member did disturbed and annoyed many people in HK and Bangkok by engaing in multiple contracts and disa
... See more
I understood Soonthon:

I wonder how a translation agency who uses international call to hire two interpretators will be dishonest.

Means:

I don\'t understand why a translation agency that actually calls people abroad in order to hire two interpretors can be dishonest.

In fact, the Prominent Prolink HK (by Sophine et at), one of our member did disturbed and annoyed many people in HK and Bangkok by engaing in multiple contracts and disappointed the client in his & her critical business negotiation in Bangkok.

The fact of the matter is that Prominent Prolink HK (run by Sophine et al), one of our members, had dubious working practices in Hong Kong and Bankkok because it engaged in multiple contracts and, therefore, disappointed the client while performing his critical business negotiaations in Bangkok.

It was lilekly that Prolink HK wanted to maximize its profit but bad productivity was given to me as well as my colleages in Thailand and NL.

The reason for this was probably that Prolink HK wanted to maximize profits. However, the work relayed to myself and my colleagues in Thailand and in the Netherlands was of a poor quality.

I hope I\'ve interpreted his message correctly.

I agree with Loek although I would have been slighly more diplomatic!

Obviously Soonthon has a big problem and wishes to let everybody know and since the working language of ProZ is English he tried his best! A perfectly legitimate endeavour I would say!

Unfortunately I have no experience in dealing with this company so I cannot offer any practical help.

I too am Dutch!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Nov 16, 2002

Although Bob could (and should) have worded his post in a much more diplomatic way, he has a point: Soonthon\'s profile lists a whole number of pairs where English is the target language as *working* pairs, citing target price levels which are pretty aggressive.

Also, agencies should not be discussed in the forum, but on the Blue Board - I would therefore strongly suggest to close this thread and have informed the forum moderator accordingly.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thread will indeed be closed Nov 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-16 17:52, Lemster wrote:

Although Bob could (and should) have worded his post in a much more diplomatic way, he has a point: Soonthon\'s profile lists a whole number of pairs where English is the target language as *working* pairs, citing target price levels which are pretty aggressive.

Also, agencies should not be discussed in the forum, but on the Blue Board - I would therefore strongly sugg... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-16 17:52, Lemster wrote:

Also, agencies should not be discussed in the forum, but on the Blue Board - I would therefore strongly suggest to close this thread and have informed the forum moderator accordingly.

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prominent Prolink HK (Sophine) business manner

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »