Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:00
French to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

Hi all,

Just a quick note on a recent job offer... asking for a small (one line) translation - nothing strange there, apart from the fact that they asked for the translation to be submitted WITH the quote....

At the end of the day, it was only a one-line translation - not enough to retire and move to Florida - but I wonder how many people actually replied....

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe it's something that should be done for free... Jan 19, 2007

I replied to a similar quote once, and did the small translation for free.

The person who posted the job was really happy, and I received a nice booklet as a reward

It was a kind of fun. And I don't earn my living from one-line translations, anyway...

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Italian to English
Another strange request Jan 19, 2007

Received today:

Greetings,
My name is XXX XXXX,i live in london but presently in Itali on a business trip.I'd like you to get back to me and how much it will cost you to translate this document for me English - Itali and how many days it will take you to get it done. Get back to me as soon as possible...

IP address (you guessed it) was Lagos Nigeria. The attached text was The Centuries by Nostradamus - 31,000+ words; the Italian version is freely available on th
... See more
Received today:

Greetings,
My name is XXX XXXX,i live in london but presently in Itali on a business trip.I'd like you to get back to me and how much it will cost you to translate this document for me English - Itali and how many days it will take you to get it done. Get back to me as soon as possible...

IP address (you guessed it) was Lagos Nigeria. The attached text was The Centuries by Nostradamus - 31,000+ words; the Italian version is freely available on the internet.

What size cheque were they planning to send me I wonder?
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
Member (2007)
English to French
Same nostradamus quote Jan 24, 2007

Hello,

So far this week I have had it 3 times (English into French)...which is even worse as it was written in French to start with !!!
The name changed too.
Using a yahoo.co.uk address.

well well

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange request for a quote...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »