Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 20, 2007

Dear colleagues,
I work with a US based translation company and sometimes they ask me to do post DTP proofing jobs.
Sometimes these jobs go smoothly, sometimes the Italian PDF is a total mess with chunks of text still in English, etc.
Last time they sent a PDF with chunks of text in English. Most of them can be found in the ITD file with the translation. However, there is an entire section of 414 words which has never been translated, is not in the ITD file and should be transl
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I work with a US based translation company and sometimes they ask me to do post DTP proofing jobs.
Sometimes these jobs go smoothly, sometimes the Italian PDF is a total mess with chunks of text still in English, etc.
Last time they sent a PDF with chunks of text in English. Most of them can be found in the ITD file with the translation. However, there is an entire section of 414 words which has never been translated, is not in the ITD file and should be translated from scratch. I pointed this out to the PM and she seems to think I should translate this section as part of the post DTP check job, while I think it should be paid separately as a translation job, not included in the post DTP check job.
It's a matter of principle more than of money, since this specific PM always tries to get things for free, to pay less than the other PM's, etc.
However, I would like to have your opinion on how you handle these cases, i.e. post DTP proofing with untranslated text.
Thanks
Laura
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Falls outside scope of the job Jan 20, 2007

Laura Gentili wrote:

However, I would like to have your opinion on how you handle these cases, i.e. post DTP proofing with untranslated text.
Thanks
Laura

You can't proofread something that isn't written in the language you've been hired to proof - period.

Your only obligation as a proofreader is to mark it as "not yet translated" or "wrong language!"

[Edited at 2007-01-20 13:24]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Member (2004)
English to Italian
the usual penny-pinching clients... Jan 20, 2007

don't budge. You are already proofing the PDFs for free. The extra untranslated words should be paid.

Giovanni

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They do pay for the post DTP proof Jan 20, 2007

Hi Giovanni,
They do pay for a post DTP proof, but it's basically a lump sum. So if the job goes smoothly, fine. But translating chunks of text should be paid separately, in my view.

Laura

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly - ask for separate PO for translation Jan 20, 2007

Laura Gentili wrote:
But translating chunks of text should be paid separately, in my view.

Hi Laura,

You are absolutely right. If they want you to do the translation part, they must treat this as a separate assignment and issue a new PO. Otherwise I agree with the previous contributors - do not even think of translating a single word of that part.

Steffen

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a messy situation Jan 20, 2007

If they send you PDF files to proofread, this is convenient, as I've seen a 64 MB PageMaker file shrink to a PDF that fitted a 1.44 floppy. But then, the best you can do is to add annotations to that PDF, in the hope that the DTP artist will implement them with the proper software.

My opinion is that translator and PDF artist should wo
... See more
If they send you PDF files to proofread, this is convenient, as I've seen a 64 MB PageMaker file shrink to a PDF that fitted a 1.44 floppy. But then, the best you can do is to add annotations to that PDF, in the hope that the DTP artist will implement them with the proper software.

My opinion is that translator and PDF artist should work together, as I described in http://www.accurapid.com./journal/38dtp.htm . This makes the whole process easier and faster for both. But it seems that your PM thinks differently.

On the other hand, if you are proofreading with the DTP software, it would be fair for you to charge like many DTP-ers (not including myself) do, by the hour. The hourly charge includes anything you can do, proofread, translate, bake cookies for them, and so on.

If there are texts left in English (like my French-made car - bought in Brazil - came with an owner's manual in European Portuguese with a few chunks of text left in French), it means that either a) the translator didn't get ALL the text that was to be translated; or b) the DTP artist (apart from the possibility of being careless) does not know enough EN and/or IT to notice.

My usual suggestion is to get a bilingual, or even sesquilingual, DTP artist, so that s/he can see what is coming out of it. If there is untranslated text, they should extract it and send it back (via PM in your case) for the translator to be able to do a complete job. I'm pretty sure nobody in this world wants to publish a half-translated work.
Collapse

Iffat Chowdhury
Iffat Chowdhury  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 21:34
English to Bengali
+ ...
Whose fault? Jan 20, 2007

Hi Laura

If the words that have been left due to the outsourcers' fault, you should ask for full translation bill and there should be no dispute over it. However, if it happened due to the translator's inadvertences, then you should translate it for free. It is very simple! There is no point to translate 414 words for free. A good outsourcer/PM never demands such unreasonable favour.

Regards

Iffat

shstephaniepark
shstephaniepark
South Korea
Local time: 00:34
English to Korean
+ ...
Agree- This is another job. Jan 20, 2007

Proofreading task is based on the text written in and translated into your target language.

You put remarks like "source language" or "translation needed" on that section and return it to your PM.

Your PM should ask the translator who didn't do his or her job to translate it, not you, a proofreader. If he or she wants the text translated by you, he or she should pay correctly to you.

If the PM keeps on insisting that you should translate them in proofreadi
... See more
Proofreading task is based on the text written in and translated into your target language.

You put remarks like "source language" or "translation needed" on that section and return it to your PM.

Your PM should ask the translator who didn't do his or her job to translate it, not you, a proofreader. If he or she wants the text translated by you, he or she should pay correctly to you.

If the PM keeps on insisting that you should translate them in proofreading tarif, it might be better to stop working or to do it on the condition of giving you translation job instead of proofreading in future.

I think you should not accept to translate in other case. If not, the PM continues to abuse you.

Sunghee
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 18:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thats a separate job Jan 22, 2007

For sure thats a separate job that has to be paid separately.

Regards

Ahmed Wadan

English-Arabic Financial Translator
http://wadan.arablish.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can be considered part of a post DTP proofing job

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »