Scam or not?
Thread poster: Elías Sauza

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2007

On February 2006 I paid to X translation site to receive upgraded job offers. I used to receive messages about attractive translation jobs, but (needless to say) I had to become a paying member to increase my chances of getting them. However, in the other hand, I knew that becoming a paying member would not guarantee I would get them, and that it could be a scam. During the first weeks, I got emails everyday announcing said jobs. To cut the story short, I never even received a reply from any potential client. A few months later the job offers just stopped to come. There were some hints as to suspect that this was a case of scam. For instance, the "outsourcers" contact information was never available.

I believe it was a scam that works this way: Someone announces jobs to potential paying members in order to make money. He/she announces unreal, attractive jobs to appear as if there are real outsourcers. Many people reply but nobody never knows if someone gets the jobs (or that in fact nobody gets the jobs).

I still receive email messages with this type of job offers from elsewhere, just as many of you do. I notice that most of them are of a higher volume than those posted in We have to learn how to discriminate between dependable and undependable sources, and to make our new colleagues aware of these cyber rascals.

[Edited at 2007-01-23 21:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:06
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Same here Jan 24, 2007

I bet I know what site you are talking about.

During the first 2 or 3 weeks I received tons of email job messages every day. So I thought to myself: "Gee, this is worth my money!" Then I noticed that by the time the emails arrived and I checked the page there were already a lot of bidders (they always show "More than 20 translators...") thus reducing my chances and making me feel my bidding would be late or that, at that stage, there was no point in bidding.

On other occasions I noticed the jobs were not up to par. Then I started having doubts about the whole thing. I thought my chances would improve if I were to receive the email messages with less delay so I wrote to them to complain about the delay in delivery. They suggested that I keep their page open in my browser all the time in order to catch the jobs as they were being posted rather than waiting for the emails to arrive. Not practical at all. However, I tried that for a few days and nothing improved; not the quality of the jobs posted nor the response from the outsourcers.

The fingers of one hand are enough to count the times I received a reply from an outsourcer —and there would be fingers left! And they were rejections because of my rate per word which, by the way, is very reasonable.

Nowadays, I hardly receive any messages from that site, and it´s only been a few months since I became a member. My consolation is that the fee paid was not that high (at least not for me here in the U.S.). I think a scam would be hard to prove; however, now that you mention it, I believe it shows all the signs.

Direct link Reply with quote  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
Which site? Jan 25, 2007

Shall you please email me such scam site at:

I appreciate your reply

Thank you

Ahmed Wadan
English-Arabic Financial Translator

[Edited at 2007-01-25 08:05]

[Edited at 2007-01-25 08:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam or not?

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs