Mobile menu

Freelancing while employed as a project manager - a conflict of interest?
Thread poster: Jeff Gant
Jeff Gant
Local time: 11:28
French to English
Jan 24, 2007

Hello all!

I am a freelance translator (FRE>ENG) who is relatively new to the industry. Recently, I have been considering positions with translation companies, and I am wondering if it would strike anyone as a conflict of interest to continue freelance work (with different companies) while being employed as a Project Manager.

Any thoughts?

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Definitely a conflict of interest Jan 24, 2007

Doing freelance work for other customers while working in any capacity in a translation company would definitely be a major conflict of interest.

You could easily end up submitting a bid as PM but end up translating the project for a competitor, or a number of other equally unpleasant scenarios.

Unless you end up working for a translation company that specifically gives you a written permit to do freelance work on the side, don't even consider it (not that any TC would ever permit you to: they would think that if you have the spare time to do freelancing on the side, you could spend it putting longer hours in the office).

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
Of course it is Jan 25, 2007

On another note, would you even want to face even more work when you come home from the office? Something has to give.

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
French to English
I did Jan 25, 2007

I did this when I first started out, but my clients never approached the agency where I worked for its translation services because of location. I never really saw this as a conflict of interest.

But as Orla said, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from a day at the office was work.

It's up to you do decide whether you want to freelance after working a full day. Maybe you could find a full-time translator position to gain experience.

Good luck,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing while employed as a project manager - a conflict of interest?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs