Mobile menu

agencies - how to know what one is dealing with?
Thread poster: biankonera

biankonera  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2007

Lately Ive had some collaboration offers from the agencies Ive never worked with and above all - ones that have no record about them on any of the freelancer forums I know.

I know that each experiment in life is carried out at one's own expense, but I was wondering how do others deal with such situations? Or how can one find some info about such agencies? One cant ignore all such offers as it might end up being something really good.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:21
Italian to English
+ ...
I work on trust... Jan 29, 2007

i'll check out the website, of course, and would normally avoid anyone who didn't have a business email address. But generally I'm prepared to trust people who offer me jobs, and so far I've never been burned.

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Depends on risk Jan 29, 2007

Of course, you should always check the website and contact information of the client.

If it's a small job, I just accept it and hope all goes well. If the project is big, I ask if it's possible to get (a part of) the payment in advance. I once was in a situation, that there were no BB entries or similar for an agency new to me. The deal I managed to make with them was, that I would first deliver a part of the project, and then they would pay me for that part before I would send the rest of the translation. There was some confusion first, but in the end everything went OK - the client got the translation and I got paid on time.

[Edited at 2007-01-29 23:53]

Els Spin  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
Check official registers Jan 30, 2007

You might also try checking official registers, like chambers of commerce and industry.

And even better than checking their website, is to Google their name. If people have in any way been conned by them, that is bound to turn up somewhere on the net.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Managing business risk Jan 30, 2007

As regards ascertaining contact details and other outsourcer information, further useful hints are provided in Ralf Lemster's Buenos Aires conference presentation on managing business risk, which you find at

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agencies - how to know what one is dealing with?

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs