Mobile menu

Who is a sworn translator ?
Thread poster: Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
Local time: 17:01
English to French
+ ...
Jan 30, 2007

I want to apply to be a sworn translator.
I post here because I well would like some advices and hints on the file and letter to send back to the court.

Thanks in advance for your experience on this field.
Have a good day!

Direct link Reply with quote

Bilore  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
would also like to know Jan 30, 2007

hello Julie,

If you get interesting info, I'd be glad to know...

I've tried once to contact a sworn translator to get some advice/informations but she wasn't very polite, nearly said I was probably translating for fun....

I have an interesting document on my other PC about sworn translators in France, contact me through my profile and I'll send it to you tomorrow if you're interested.

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:01
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Experience from Latvia Jan 30, 2007

In Latvia there exist sworn translators, but their translation has no legal force without certification of a sworn notary. In Latvia there is no such legal institution as sworn or certified translator.
Here sworn translator just means that some translator have "sworn" before a concrete sworn notary that he/she will do not make intentionally false translations etc. Each sworn notary cooperates i.e. certifies translations made by a translator sworn before him/her.
Here sworn translators have no legal rights, but have all the responsibility and criminal liability intentionally false translations
Still here are many institutions, like courts, which accept translations signed just by a sworn translator. Sometimes it greately depends on the institution itself.

As I know in other countries there exist the institution of a sworn or certified translator which has legal powers.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-01-30 14:34]

French to English
I'm one Jan 30, 2007

I've been on the lists for more than ten years and was surprised, not to say shocked, that someone like me - no formal qualification in translating, no training in interpreting, not much knowledge about French law - could be approved! I do live in a fairly rural area so I think they were just pleased to have somebody to add to the list, especially as loads of Brits travel through or live in my bit of Normandy. (Plus, perhaps, the fact I was better at French spellling and grammar than some of the gendarmes.)
But for the application, I don't remember writing a letter. I was sworn in for a one-off job by the gendarmes that lasted all week, and they then encouraged me to become a sworn translator. All I remember is doing a CV, having the police come round to see I really lived where I said I did, presumably some behind the scenes checking of my criminal record, and that was it. I know someone who despite being eminently competent was recently refused approval, no reason given. So it's difficult to make sense of it all.
But don't expect it to bring in any serious money: 11.13 euros a page for translation, 13.83 euros an hour for interpreting. When it's a "private" sworn translation, though, you can charge what you like.

For a recent thread in French, see

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is a sworn translator ?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs