Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:46
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2007

I did one project for an agency, over three months ago, and they still haven´t paid.
I suspect at this juncture that I never will be paid.
They´ve now proven to be quite unethical.
I don´t know why I worked for them in the first place. Their BB average is less than 3.
In any case, they have sent me a link to download a zip file on their site, requesting that for future projects I install Trados (doesn´t run on my platform anyway).
Anyway, I DLed it, even though it doesn´t run on Linux, and opened the zip.
It contains Trados 6.5, plus an extra folder entitled:
Crack_Trados_6_5_unlimited_time_works_tested!!!

Clearly, they are distributing unlicensed copies of Trados, with instructions on how to crack it to function beyond the trial period. Highly unethical and illegal.

Should I report this to SDL, to some other authority?
Should I reveal the identity of this ¨agency¨ here?
Frankly, I don´t know what to do...

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:46
English to German
+ ...
Report them to SDL Feb 1, 2007

Hi Anthony,
Should I report this to SDL, to some other authority?

I would report it to SDL, leaving it up to them to take the necessary steps. Contact me through my profile if you need a contact at SDL.

Should I reveal the identity of this ¨agency¨ here?

No (please see forum rule #8), but you may want to indicate this issue in a Blue Board entry.

Best regards,
Ralf

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Be careful Feb 1, 2007

I think that indicating the issue on the BB is ineffective. The agency you are talking about usually use another name to post the translation projects on Proz, in order to hide the fact that they have a low average.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
An agency having two (or more) profiles independent from each other? Feb 1, 2007

I thought we were protected against this. It is clearly stated on this site that the site staff works on detecting such double profiles and then takes the necessary steps to correct this. The BB becomes completely useless if such abuses are allowed!

What baffles me even more is that here, we have a user who knows this (maybe there are more), but this thread had to be posted for that user to come forward and denounce this unethical practice.

I'm speechless...

[Edited at 2007-02-02 00:00]

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
double life Feb 2, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I thought we were protected against this. It is clearly stated on this site that the site staff works on detecting such double profiles and then takes the necessary steps to correct this. The BB becomes completely useless if such abuses are allowed!

What baffles me even more is that here, we have a user who knows this (maybe there are more), but this thread had to be posted for that user to come forward and denounce this unethical practice.

I'm speechless...

[Edited at 2007-02-02 00:00]

I have registered a business name, and, it appears on the blueboard (baldwinlinguas, BB record, 5.0!!! with one whole post), although my ¨business" does not have a proz profile, and I do.
In essence, I am a freelancer, who occasionally outsources work, and, is hoping, in this year, to be able to outsource more, and build an agency.
If I were to, then, build a separate proz profile and account for the business, would that be unethical?
The few people who have worked with me, of course, know that BaldwinLinguas IS me, a sole proprietership, so, I´ve certainly done nothing to hide my identity.
I paid everyone on time, in fact, all well before 30 days.
I treated them as I like to be treated, of course.
And didn´t ask them to crack software, either.
The agency in question in my initial post is, I now suspect, one person, like me in so far as they are running a small, sole proprietorship, homebased agency (there the similarity ends, of course, since they don´t pay and do crack software, apparently).
My intention in this, or any business or professional venture is, of course, to maintain high ethical standards, which is why I started this thread, seeking to learn what others would consider the most ethical action to take in regard to this pirated software issue.
As the vasty majority of Proz members, I wish to satisfy the client so they keep coming back. Unethical behavior is, of course, not the means to acheive satisfied customers, in generalm nor to build a successful business over the long-term.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I was talking about your client and Luisa, not you Feb 2, 2007

No need to freak out, Anthony

If you were to eventually open an agency, you can have a separate profile for that and that is completely ethical - you can't be using the same profile as a freelancer and as an agency at the same time, that would make no sense. However, when the same moral entity has different profiles (for example, a person who owns two different agencies), the BB pages for the different profiles are linked together. You probably have seen BB pages where, at the top, there is a mention "also see XY BB record". This means the same entity has another (or several more) BB record for a business under a different name, and ProZ is only letting you know this so you can check the other BB records of that client so you can make your decision in light of all the feedback available for that client. However, Luisa is suggesting that the client you are talking about is circumventing site rule #7. What I don't understand is why she waited for this post to come forward about it.

General site rule #7:

One profile is allowed per person. Creating a new profile to bypass restrictions or gain advantages is prohibited. (However, it is acceptable to have one profile for yourself and another profile for your registered business.)

I agree with Ralf that the hacked copy of Trados should be reported to SDL. However, I don't think mentioning this in the client's BB right now would help you to get paid for that job.

I think it is best to talk to site staff about ways they can help you to get your money first, and then, once that issue is fixed, I would contact SDL. If you don't get paid for the job after all the efforts you've made, then I beg you, please do make a BB entry. That is the only thing you can do to help make the BB work. I, for one, would prefer to know about your experience with this client, because if I don't, I may well decide to work with him/her - and come to the same end result as you did.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-02-02 01:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agency sent cracked copy of Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs