Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

Hi all,

an agency wants to offer me jobs.

I sent my CV including recent projects, rates for translation, and three references i. e. contact details.

Now the agency would like me to:

a. confirm my rates for translation (no problem, but what percentage to add when convertig PDFs?) and interpreting.
I didn't state any rates for this since I'm not sure if it's by the hour or by the day? Plus, until now I've been paid by the day since I worked as a mixture of tour guide and liaision interpreter for an NGO. Any suggestions?

b. I included, as I mentioned above, three names and contacts of outsourcers. Now the agnecy requires "two professionbal references". What's that? Letters of recommendation?

Looking forward to some enlightenment!

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Els Spin  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Watch out! Feb 5, 2007

Hi Carolin,

Just a warning: the other day, a discussion was going on on this forum about recommendation letters: these mean that you are revealing the names of your clients to a competitor.

So, be careful!

Kind regards,

P.S. If you want to look it up: the discussion took place, I believe, the day before yesterday.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to French
+ ...
They already have three references - now they want two more... Feb 6, 2007

That's all I can see here.

Also, be careful. If you have to work on PDFs, the only advice on rates I can give you is charge as if you had retyped the whole thing by hand. It's not a requirement to have expensive software to handle PDFs - and it should be your requirement that clients give you files to translate in formats you can edit. If they really want to send you PDFs, so be it, but they should pay the price for that. Besides, even if you have OCR software, it always takes time to edit the OCR results into a quality source document you can work on.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-02-06 05:11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions: Interpreting rates - PDFs - References

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs