Thread poster: JDSuk
JDSuk
JDSuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

Hi guys,
I will be probably translating a book into Italian for an Agency in England. If and when the book will be distributed how does it work in terms of copyright. I've read that the translator can retain the copyright and sell it later or that the client has possession of it if agreed so in the contract. it's all a bit confusing for me.
What's the norm?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Basit Ijaz
Basit Ijaz  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 22:35
English to Urdu
+ ...
contract Feb 6, 2007

You must have signed a contract with the agency. If there was nothing stated clearly about rights, you must ask them and if you didnt ask then generally the agency has all the rights of publishing and re-publishing of the material. But your name will be appear on the cover and few other places in the book and where and when ever the book will the published or its translated version will be mentioned.

JDSuk
JDSuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for your reply Basit

GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
Mexico
Local time: 11:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
copyright Feb 7, 2007

This differs from country to country. In Mexico, if the contract does not state that the employer or company employing the translator retains all rights, the translator has rights to a percentage of the copyright. You should review the copyright law of Italy - what does it say in your contract? Since I market translations of Mexican laws on the internet, when a client wants to hire me to translate a law that has market value for me - I give them a contract for translation services that states th... See more
This differs from country to country. In Mexico, if the contract does not state that the employer or company employing the translator retains all rights, the translator has rights to a percentage of the copyright. You should review the copyright law of Italy - what does it say in your contract? Since I market translations of Mexican laws on the internet, when a client wants to hire me to translate a law that has market value for me - I give them a contract for translation services that states that I retain the copyright to the document.
Glenn
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright matters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »