Upgrade policies Trados/SDLX
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

SDLX is accepting pre-orders for version 2007. What initially looks like a good deal, namely 85 USD for an upgrade from 2006 to 2007, could become rather expensive. Automatically added to the invoice is USD 98.45 for Support and 'Maintenance', a YEARLY fee!
You can opt not to buy this S&M package, but look what Maintenance means:

"Maintenance means you will receive free upgrades from your current version of software to any future version we may release, including point releases and main version releases, as long as you have the latest version of the software." (quote from the SDLX site)

In other words: no more free upgrades!?

Now we all now that MS Vista and Office 2007 are going to require lots of patches and 'upgrades', so will SDLX 2007 work reliably if I decline the Maintenance contract?

These darn managers always come up with something new, but if this is true, it would be nice if we could collectively put pressure on SDLX to stop milking freelancers.

Imagine this: SDLX is also at the forefront of machine translation research. They are working hard to make our profession obsolete, but until such a time "you can still squeeze 'em", can't you? This company's policies tick me off. Still, I may be overreacting or misunderstanding, so I've asked SDLX to explain. I'll let you know what they said.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
Updates vs. Upgrades Feb 6, 2007

What you have had so far is not free upgrades but free updates.

Upgrades = change to a major version, usually with additional features
Updates = minor changes and problem fixes to a major version

The difference can be very subtle, but even though I didn't take out maintenance on SDL Trados 2006, I have just downloaded a recent update. However, I will still have to pay extra for major versions, i.e. 2007.

As far as I understand it, paying this maintenance fee means you never have to pay any more for Trados again.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Same thing (or worse) under a different name... Feb 7, 2007

Kevin Harper wrote:

As far as I understand it, paying this maintenance fee means you never have to pay any more for Trados again.

Well, not quite. You still have to pay your annual maintenance fee, and they probably don't tell you whether that fee will remain constant at $98.45.

And the catch is "as long as you have the latest version". That is, in order not to lose that benefit, you have to upgrade/pay each and every year and are hooked for eternity.

Bottom line: For this upgrade, they want you to buy two releases instead of just one: version 2007 plus the next release (2008). This way, they reduce the likelihood of users switching to some other CAT tool at least for the next two years.

I'm pretty sure they won't either guarantee you one new release per year. What happens if they don't release a new version each year? You'd end up getting a single upgrade for the amount of two annual maintenance fees.

I can't say that I like this kind of marketing methods.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Capitalist Traps Feb 7, 2007

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

Kevin Harper wrote:

Well, not quite. You still have to pay your annual maintenance fee, and they probably don't tell you whether that fee will remain constant at $98.45.

And the catch is "as long as you have the latest version". That is, in order not to lose that benefit, you have to upgrade/pay each and every year and are hooked for eternity.

Bottom line: For this upgrade, they want you to buy two releases instead of just one: version 2007 plus the next release (2008). This way, they reduce the likelihood of users switching to some other CAT tool at least for the next two years.

I'm pretty sure they won't either guarantee you one new release per year. What happens if they don't release a new version each year? You'd end up getting a single upgrade for the amount of two annual maintenance fees.

I can't say that I like this kind of marketing methods.

Hi Fellow Translators,

In my opinion, this is a blatant instance of capitalist traps.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:07
English to German
+ ...
Current example Feb 7, 2007

Marinus,
Maybe this helps to explain what "software maintenance" means in this context.

In other words: no more free upgrades!?

The recent patch from 7.5.0.756 to build 759 was free.

The update to SDL Trados 2007 (presumably containing Trados 8.x) is not free, unless you have a maintenance agreement. IOW if you believe SDL will come out with a new version within a year's time, taking out the support and maintenance agreement means that in effect, you're buying the next upgrade(s) upfront, with support included. I haven't checked out the pricing for freelance, but for me, the S&M agreement has worked out ok for my Team licenses.

HTH, Ralf

Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Support and Maintenance Feb 7, 2007

Sorry, I missed the point that it was yearly.

In any case, I would not get this package for the upgrade alone, only if you need the support element.

The upgrade on its own, which may or may not come within the year, will usually cost less than this package anyway.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
S&M? Feb 7, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

You can opt not to buy this S&M package

yes, I always thought we must be a bit S&M to use Trados...

G

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX maintenance contract not as bad as it looks? Feb 8, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:
IOW if you believe SDL will come out with a new version within a year's time, taking out the support and maintenance agreement means that in effect, you're buying the next upgrade(s) upfront, with support included.

Thanks Ralf. If what you say is true, it doesn't look like such a bad deal after all. As Heike said, the part about "as long as you have the latest version" is a bit tricky, seems open to interpretation, but I may have been interpreting it too negatively.
I'm not against paying a few hundred bucks a year on good tools, though, as you might recall, I'm not so convinced these tools always are 'good' - some of them still suck - yet they are improving, so I do want to keep up-to-date. Same with Microsoft Vista and Office 2007. The Microsoft policies can be quite annoying, but there's no doubt in my mind that progress is good and will keep us busy and prospering.
I was hoping to get a reply from SDLX to clarify matters, but nothing has been forthcoming. I'll keep you all posted.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think it's a bad deal if you need it Feb 10, 2007

Kevin Harper wrote:
Upgrades = change to a major version, usually with additional features
Updates = minor changes and problem fixes to a major version

That's the key difference.

As I understand it, "updates" (i.e. fixes and patches) will still be free, no matter if you buy or not the S&M contract. Nevertheless, double check with TRADOS.

"Upgrades", as far as I can remember, have never been free from TRADOS. Even upgrading from an x.0 to an x.5 version has always had a cost.

As far as I can remember, this type of maintenance contract has been offered to companies since at least version 3 of TRADOS.

It is not a bad deal for companies because they know they are going to spend XX euros/dollars every year and they are going to have the latest version of TRADOS. That means that you don't have to budget for this expenditure every year.

For TRADOS, of course, it's a good deal because it's like buying the upgrades in advance.

If having always the latest version of TRADOS is good for your business, paying 100 euros a year is not a huge investment and I think that it pays for itself but you'll need to make your numbers.

If you don't really need to have always the latest version for your business, then you may save money not buying it.

In my opinion, it is good to have the option at least.

Daniel

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL reply Feb 23, 2007

Dear colleagues

In the meantime I received a reply e-mail by an SDL agent (only 17 days later).
Why it took them so long I don't know, the information is practically the same as the one on the website, so it doesn't clarify anything, but gladly some of you know how it works.
Thank you for your clarification. The maintenance contract may indeed not be such a bad deal.

This is a quote:

"I am pleased to enumerate for you the benefits of a support and maintenance contract with SDL Trados Technologies.

Level 1 gives you:

1. hotline telephone support

2. response time to support requests by next business day

3. 1 designated representative who will be flagged as having a support contract when they put a request into the support centre

4. FREE upgrades, updates and service packs for the whole year if the maintenance option is purchased"

dgmaga wrote:
In my opinion, it is good to have the option at least.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade policies Trados/SDLX

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs