https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/66658-small_claims_across_eu_countries.html

small claims across eu countries
Thread poster: filmprod
filmprod
filmprod
English
Feb 22, 2007

Hi. I am based in Germany and did some work for a client in the UK. The client ignores my invoices. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for recovering a small amount of money which is owed to me? (€800)

[Edited at 2007-02-22 10:31]

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Money Claim by the Court Service Feb 22, 2007

I got paid by an agency through the Money Claim System and it was quite quick.......I think it scares then...however I think you have to have an UK address.....Have a look and good luck.
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

filmprod
filmprod
English
TOPIC STARTER
but can I use this if my business address is in Germany? Feb 22, 2007

I do in fact have a uk address, but I am now tax resident in germany and my invoice is under a german address. Will I get rejected for this if I go through the normal uk domestic small claims?
Do I have to go through a special eu process?

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:

I got paid by an agency through the Money Claim System and it was quite quick.......I think it scares then...however I think you have to have an UK address.....Have a look and good luck.
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
Local time: 04:05
French to English
+ ...
Business address in Germany Feb 22, 2007

No. It makes no difference to a UK money claim online where you are resident or tax-domiciled.

Just make sure that your client still exists - if a regd. co. in England & Wales - not Scotland nor N.I., do an online co. search to see it's not gone under in an A for administration, an L for liquidation or R for receivership:

wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d61fdde5a36b8775004f2787a30f521f/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

If the client is a partnership or sole trade,
... See more
No. It makes no difference to a UK money claim online where you are resident or tax-domiciled.

Just make sure that your client still exists - if a regd. co. in England & Wales - not Scotland nor N.I., do an online co. search to see it's not gone under in an A for administration, an L for liquidation or R for receivership:

wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d61fdde5a36b8775004f2787a30f521f/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

If the client is a partnership or sole trade, you have a privacy problem to crack as neither would be regd., except with a local Chamber of Commerce or for VAT. Previously there used to be in London a Registry of Business Names for partnerships.

Either way, your claim is GBP 800 and just over the 'bankruptcy limit' of GBP 750 - meaning you can threaten with a 'statutory demand' to wind up the company or bankrupt the partnership or sole trader. But you really need a Solicitor back in the UK to do it for you. No. I am afraid I don't handle such cases.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 20:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

small claims across eu countries

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »