Mobile menu

UK Model of Freelance Translation contract
Thread poster: stephanieL
English to Italian
Feb 22, 2007

I'm in France, although I live in the UK, and I have been asked to translate a software program from French to Italian. The client said they might offer me a temporary contract to work as their employee but i am considering freelancing. I guess I will have to go back to the UK and register as self-employed, but in the meantime and since the client is expecting an answer from me - by Monday - I was wondering whether anybody could post a standard UK model of a freelance translation contract.

Also, do you think it would reasonable to ask the client to pay me half or a third of the amount they would owe me, half way through the translation?

I hope you can help!

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
English to French
+ ...
Depending on how long it will take Feb 23, 2007

I am sorry that I can't offer you help with the contract. However, depending on how long the work at hand will take to be completed, I suggest you ask for partial payments every two weeks. I think the best thing to do is to ask for a first payment after two weeks, and that payment should arrive within a week, which means that about three weeks into the contract, you would get your first payment.

Why? Simply because in most countries, if you worked for an employer, you would never wait more than two weeks to get paid. So, asking for biweekly payments is a reasonable request.

All the best!

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:36
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
See link below Feb 23, 2007

And look at guidance no 019. Hope this helps.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some Terms and conditions Feb 23, 2007

Dear Stephanie,

I know they're not a contrract model, but maybe you find the following pages with Terms and Conditions useful. (I have not checked them for a while, so some of the pages may be gone.)

Kind regards,

English to Italian
Thank you guys. Feb 23, 2007

Thank you guys,

I actually managed to find a few models featured on an old ProZ thread, started by Evert Deloof-Sys ..

However, I might now give up this option ( freelancing ) simply because I'm worried that I don't know too many things! eg contract type, specifications and even how new sections should be drawn up.. So, I think I might just sign a standard temporary contract now although I am a bit disappointed.

Au revoir.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK Model of Freelance Translation contract

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs