Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:37
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

I live in Holland and I charge VAT(19%) to my Dutch and Spanish clients. Up till now that hasn't been a problem since I always got small to medium sized translations.
Now I got two big assignments, both are two books. The one is a Spanish course and the other one is a psychological study about a prominent religious figure.
My question is: do I charge VAT (or BTW as it is in Dutch, or IVA in Spanish)? I have read somewhere that when translating books you are exempt of charging VAT.
... See more
I live in Holland and I charge VAT(19%) to my Dutch and Spanish clients. Up till now that hasn't been a problem since I always got small to medium sized translations.
Now I got two big assignments, both are two books. The one is a Spanish course and the other one is a psychological study about a prominent religious figure.
My question is: do I charge VAT (or BTW as it is in Dutch, or IVA in Spanish)? I have read somewhere that when translating books you are exempt of charging VAT. Is that so? Can someone corroborate this?
I would very much appreciate any help on this matter.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Depends on domicile Feb 28, 2007

Well, surely it depends on the VAT rules in the country where you are registered for tax, not on the language of the translation. I would contact your local tax office for advice.

Here in Spain, original literary, artistic or scientific translations are exempt from VAT (inside Spain) but it could be different in the Netherlands.

If you are exporting translations to Spain, you shoud be charging 0% VAT on all translations under the terms of the 5th VAT Directive of the EC
... See more
Well, surely it depends on the VAT rules in the country where you are registered for tax, not on the language of the translation. I would contact your local tax office for advice.

Here in Spain, original literary, artistic or scientific translations are exempt from VAT (inside Spain) but it could be different in the Netherlands.

If you are exporting translations to Spain, you shoud be charging 0% VAT on all translations under the terms of the 5th VAT Directive of the EC. Try searching for "intracommunity transaction" in the Forums. Better still, get some advice from an accountant or your tax office.
Collapse

Elena Carbonell
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That answers my question beautifully Feb 28, 2007

Yes!! That is what I have seen elsewhere and it looks to me that that is what I am going to do. I had no idea about the amendment, that is good to know.
Getting in contact with the tax office here is no good, since they always give different information depending on the person you get on the phone, also their web page is not very clear on the matter...
Anyway, what you say is pretty much what I already suspected and you look like someone who knows his/her tax so I will do as you say
... See more
Yes!! That is what I have seen elsewhere and it looks to me that that is what I am going to do. I had no idea about the amendment, that is good to know.
Getting in contact with the tax office here is no good, since they always give different information depending on the person you get on the phone, also their web page is not very clear on the matter...
Anyway, what you say is pretty much what I already suspected and you look like someone who knows his/her tax so I will do as you say.

Many thanks
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Yes if Feb 28, 2007

Hi Elena

If your client is coporated or registered in the Netherlands for income tax/corporate tax, than yes you should charge VAT.
If they are elsewhere you should not charge vat.

I am guessing that even your corresponding client is in other place yet the company may have offices in the Netherlands you should not charge.

To solve this easily, ask your client to provide a BTW/VAT number or BSN ("burg. serv. nummer"=formerly "sofi nummer"). If the pro
... See more
Hi Elena

If your client is coporated or registered in the Netherlands for income tax/corporate tax, than yes you should charge VAT.
If they are elsewhere you should not charge vat.

I am guessing that even your corresponding client is in other place yet the company may have offices in the Netherlands you should not charge.

To solve this easily, ask your client to provide a BTW/VAT number or BSN ("burg. serv. nummer"=formerly "sofi nummer"). If the provided number starting with NL than your answer is Yes
if not the answer is no.

Good luck.

N. Yigit
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
NL situatie voor boek- en andere vertalingen Feb 28, 2007

Info - general
(In NL: no VAT on books)

http://www.anglitekst.nl/Brief%20Min%20v%20Fin.htm

BTW if you have a VAT number you do not charge VAT within the EU for other translations to clients that also have a VAT number!

For more information on b
... See more
Info - general
(In NL: no VAT on books)

http://www.anglitekst.nl/Brief%20Min%20v%20Fin.htm

BTW if you have a VAT number you do not charge VAT within the EU for other translations to clients that also have a VAT number!

For more information on book translations:

http://www.literairvertalen.org/?option=content&task=view&id=106&Itemid=25

En dan is er nog de Yahoo-groep boekvertalers...

Succes!
Collapse

Elena Carbonell
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you!! Feb 28, 2007

I am happy I am getting straight answers and I am also happy to read that in the first link Anjo sent it is stated that tax clerks are not very clear about all this.
I will read the links and hopefully get all my finances up and running as they should.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
To charge or not to charge Mar 1, 2007

As you say, the basic rule is that if you are VAT registered, you charge.

You are invoicing client in your country :
- you charge VAT, irrespective of his being VAT registered or not
(He can deduct it if he is VAT registered, if he is not VAT registered, he cannot deduct it - but then that is his problem, not yours!)

You are invoicing client in another EC country :
- you charge VAT if your client is not VAT registered
- you do not charge VAT if
... See more
As you say, the basic rule is that if you are VAT registered, you charge.

You are invoicing client in your country :
- you charge VAT, irrespective of his being VAT registered or not
(He can deduct it if he is VAT registered, if he is not VAT registered, he cannot deduct it - but then that is his problem, not yours!)

You are invoicing client in another EC country :
- you charge VAT if your client is not VAT registered
- you do not charge VAT if he is VAT registered (get his VAT n° and keep a note of it)

There may be exceptions to this basic rule.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT on a translation of a book

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »