Val Traductions
Val Traductions  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:36
English to French
+ ...
Mar 9, 2007

Hi everybody,

One of my clients asked me to come to their office to finalize the translation.

I haven't done that before, so I do not know how much to quote for this job. The translation work will be done at home but at the end of the project and as to respect client's tight deadlines, they want me to come and finish the job in-house. As the document is an invitation to tender, the job might be finished at night or on weekend.

How do you quote this kind of
... See more
Hi everybody,

One of my clients asked me to come to their office to finalize the translation.

I haven't done that before, so I do not know how much to quote for this job. The translation work will be done at home but at the end of the project and as to respect client's tight deadlines, they want me to come and finish the job in-house. As the document is an invitation to tender, the job might be finished at night or on weekend.

How do you quote this kind of job? per soucre word, per hour or other?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Have a nice day

[Edited at 2007-03-09 09:39]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Moving this post to the French forum Mar 9, 2007

Hi Valérie,

Please note that posts to the Business Issues forum should be made in English. I am moving your request to the French forum.

Best tregards,
Steffen

Val Traductions
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translated Mar 9, 2007

I've jsut re-wrote my message in English. Thanks

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
per/word at home + per/hour for the in-house time Mar 9, 2007

I would quote per word for all the work done at home and then per hour for the in-house part, plus transport fees/meals ; if you have to work at night or during the week-end, apply a majoration (same as "heures supplémentaires" ! ).
Be sure to have everything agreed and signed before start. Now they are in a hurry and everybody is ready to make promises because they need you, but then (especially if they don't get the job) they might change their mind not at your advantage.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Excellent Mar 9, 2007

I think Nordiste's recommendations are excellent, and you should follow them all, including the last part... make sure you are going to get paid, even though they don't get the job.

Probably the deal is that after it is all translated they may want to make some last-minute adjustments.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:36
Actually... Mar 9, 2007

I'll be working at a client's office next Friday and I am going to charge them per hour plus expenses (car parking + lunch).

HTH

Orla

Val Traductions
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 9, 2007

To Nordiste & Henry, and to Orla
This is what I thought of. Thanks again for your advice.

[Edited at 2007-03-09 17:00]

[Edited at 2007-03-09 17:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What price or a translation job to be finalized in client's office

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »