Mobile menu

Are they from the same planet?
Thread poster: The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 19:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2007

A recent job posting (Russian to English) solicited quotes for a very large project, a book on health and fitness, at a target rate of USD 3-5 PER PAGE, with a preferred quoter location in the United States. What is more, by the time I stumbled upon it, 13 quotes have already been submitted. Am I the only one to kind of feel offended? Is there something fishy going on behind something like this?

Sincerely,

Michael Kapitonoff

Direct link Reply with quote

the Train  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Birds of a feather Mar 19, 2007

The Misha wrote:

13 quotes have already been submitted.... Is there something fishy going on behind something like this?

I have noticed from the 'quality' of 'translations' thrown at me to 'edit' them, that every bilingual jobless person in this world knows exactly where to go for an extra buck. And some agencies are trying to save by recruiting them, then spend triple the money retyping, editing, re-editing, faxing the client tens of apologies, and begging the tax man. On the other hand, as I have seen from some ITI forums here in Britain, the majority of these agencies or recruiters usually try to bring in novices because in a first place, they do not have the intention of to paying them. I mean, c'mmon... what is better than taking a translation from a beginner, then say it was too bad it has never been used 'and we are not going to pay you'? And please do not be offended. Some people love to learn the hard way, so be it. ;o)

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Train is soooo right! Mar 20, 2007

And sorry for the drama here, but I am sick and tired of correcting the work of such "translators" (who, in the end, make more money than I do, considering the time taken to do the job) - and that is why I hardly edit or proofread anymore. Some people really have a talent to make me hate my job...

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
English to German
+ ...
Fitness books Mar 20, 2007

Don't they consist of pictures and photos mostly? With legends, such as: "Now we take a deep breath and stretch our arms", or something.

There might be a 100 words per page only (USD 0.05/word is still lousy, but the rates for books are a different story, so I heard.)

Honestly, I would slow down a little bit on bashing "those translators" before we have seen what the project is about.

The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone who replied Mar 20, 2007

Thank you, everybody. This is not about bashing anyone, everyone needs to make a buck. It's just that the whole thing seemed to be so out of whack that I thought hey, maybe it's my own paranoia or something. Come to think of it, at such rates you are better off flipping burgers at McDonalds - and those are much steadier, and easy to get too. As to the proofreading jobs, personally, I gave up on those about 15 years ago. Not to be picky, but they usually don't pay you anywhere nearly enough for the aggravation. Once again, everybody, thanks.

Michael

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:18
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Quotes vs. "quotes" Mar 23, 2007

Hi Misha,

Have you, for a moment, considered the possibility that at least some of these 13 people may have quoted higher or pointed out in no uncertain terms to the outsourcer that their offer was way too low?

There are quotes, and then there are quotes...

Steffen

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: At poster's request.
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comment Mar 26, 2007

Thanks, as a matter of fact this is what I did, I sent them an email wishing them good luck with having the job done for that kind of money. Just couldn't help myself. I never heard from them though, and the job disappeared from the board, like, within half a day.

Michael

xxxBrandis
Local time: 01:18
English to German
+ ...
may be they meant is as a joke :-) Mar 28, 2007

health and fitness stuff and large project is some marathon translator, that would want to do it as a matter of challenge. just set minimum price regulation on small jobs and minimum processing fee regardless of the size of the jobs. Because initial assessment is costs us all time and finally if it doesnt realize ìn a workable project, the time invested is a matter of loss. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are they from the same planet?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs