Mobile menu

summarizing/abstracting: how much to charge?
Thread poster: rebekka
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2007

I've been asked to look at a number of German documents with a view to producing a very short summary in English of each one - and by summary here I mean something along the lines of "this is a document written by x on the subject of y and focuses on the problem of z" - the sort of thing that would allow the client to judge which documents they might then wish to have translated.. any ideas as to how I should charge for this (per hour? per page? per 1000 words), and how much?

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Per hour Mar 22, 2007

Per hour is the only thing that would make sense to me.
You probably would have to briefly read through the entire document, and the necessary time would depend on how fast you read. You can always apply a minimum charge, if the fee would be very low otherwise.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per hour Mar 22, 2007

I completely agree with Katalin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

summarizing/abstracting: how much to charge?

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs