Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 11:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 25, 2007

Hello,

I am currently trying to widen my client base. That means, among other things, sending out CVs to various agencies.
So I thought: when is the time for those CVs to get better chances to be read, not get buried like a needle in the haystack, disregarded and deleted?

Is there any such time? I was about to send quite a few yesterday (Saturday) and then it just came to me: hey! they will switch on their comps on Monday and there probably will be too many mess
... See more
Hello,

I am currently trying to widen my client base. That means, among other things, sending out CVs to various agencies.
So I thought: when is the time for those CVs to get better chances to be read, not get buried like a needle in the haystack, disregarded and deleted?

Is there any such time? I was about to send quite a few yesterday (Saturday) and then it just came to me: hey! they will switch on their comps on Monday and there probably will be too many messages in their in-boxes accumulated during the weekend.
Or do they work 24/7? Or is it so individual in each case their is no chance of picking a pattern?

What do you think?
Collapse

VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 10:44
English to Croatian
+ ...
upon general initial information Mar 25, 2007

It seems to me that submitting one's detailed CV in the first contact information is not a good thing to do...
What I'd do first is send some general information on my lang combos, yrs of experience and fileds of expertise, relating to the nature of client business.
That first contact should only arouse one's interest in what you really have to offer.
So, a note: Further details on previous experience and sample projects upon your contact, would be more than appropriate.
... See more
It seems to me that submitting one's detailed CV in the first contact information is not a good thing to do...
What I'd do first is send some general information on my lang combos, yrs of experience and fileds of expertise, relating to the nature of client business.
That first contact should only arouse one's interest in what you really have to offer.
So, a note: Further details on previous experience and sample projects upon your contact, would be more than appropriate.

Don't sell yourself away too cheaply
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:44
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Pattern Mar 25, 2007

Hello Valery,

I usually send my CVs to numerous agencies whenever I have time and am interested to do so. Some agencies replied in two or three days, some other replied after several weeks, and still other after one or two months. As a whole, there was no agency that did not reply. So there is no pattern on my part.

Have a nice weekend

Hipyan

[Edited at 2007-03-25 15:51]

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
Member (2003)
French to English
Be sure they are actively recruiting Mar 26, 2007

I'm not sure there's a good or a bad time, but I would check websites to make sure they are actively looking for or at least welcome applications, and how they want you to apply (many would rather you did this online via a form, so sending your CV would be a waste of time). I can imagine agencies who receive dozens or hundreds of applications will simply ignore you if you don't follow their procedures.

Good luck!
Regards,
Karen

Ioanna Orfanoudaki
Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:44
French to Greek
+ ...
Not during weekends Apr 18, 2007

As a general rule, I never send spontaneous business-related messages on a Saturday or Sunday, when they can wait until Monday. I have heard of cases of availability abuse from clients who think you have no private life because you answer the phone on a Saturday and expect you to deliver translations at 4pm Sunday. Therefore, I avoid sending replies or spontaneous emails outside working hours, to prevent bad habits...
Of course, if I have an established relationship with a client, I always
... See more
As a general rule, I never send spontaneous business-related messages on a Saturday or Sunday, when they can wait until Monday. I have heard of cases of availability abuse from clients who think you have no private life because you answer the phone on a Saturday and expect you to deliver translations at 4pm Sunday. Therefore, I avoid sending replies or spontaneous emails outside working hours, to prevent bad habits...
Of course, if I have an established relationship with a client, I always try to help out in case of emergencies, but that is another story.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Right time to send in CV

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »