Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 18, 2007

Just part of my exchange with an organisation regarding payment terms:

Anyways, Discard the files.We can't afford to pay u on regular basis as we ahve regular ongoing project for at least 2 years.
Regards,
x

And no, I didn't ask them to pay every day and neither was it an application for a full-time in-house position, and my terms are clear, 30 days, which is what most of my clients ask for.

Strange payment practice.

In fact, they'd been calling me almost every day for past couple of days, for a project.

Luckily, I specified my terms clearly. The person in-charge called me again saying that she'd not received my reply. I had some doubts, so I said that I'll forward the same e-mail again... and I'm really glad.

I wonder how do these people pay the translators, if not regularly?

Unfortunately, as I had not accepted the job I can't even mention it in blue-board. But I'll give the address to anyone who contacts me through e-mail.

Just beware of this agency.

Best regards,

Ritu

P.S.: And they are very rude (whether it's e-mail or phone). Just a thought, did they expect that I'll agree to be paid after two years

[Edited at 2007-04-18 08:15]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:51
English to Thai
+ ...
"Red flags" on payment practice Apr 18, 2007

I have a number of cases where the agencies do not prefer to pay. You can collect information out of wierd e-mail words, terms of payment, irregular manner to reply mails, blueboard records (and also in certain regions or countries) etc..
It is better to avoid to protect yourself from bad treatment, unless you want to test actual payment practices.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:51
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow: this is a "don't touch" case Apr 18, 2007

Such an "agency" does not deserve that anyone works for them.

Both the ideas and the ways of doing are absolutely out of consideration.

There exist other sites where they can find underpaid, underqualified translators, or just non-translators, or "native" translators with awful writing and worse translating abilities. In the end, if they loose customers and have to leave the business, the world will have lost nothing.

You were lucky to say no.

... See more
Such an "agency" does not deserve that anyone works for them.

Both the ideas and the ways of doing are absolutely out of consideration.

There exist other sites where they can find underpaid, underqualified translators, or just non-translators, or "native" translators with awful writing and worse translating abilities. In the end, if they loose customers and have to leave the business, the world will have lost nothing.

You were lucky to say no.

I wish everyone would.

Ruth @ MW
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blueboard etc. Apr 18, 2007

Hi Again,

Soonthon,

Yes, there is Blue-board... but the question is how reliable is it? This agency has a BB rating of 4... what does it say?

And I know another case where the BB record has ratings by "acquaintances etc." (have already told proz about it).

So everything is possible around here

and no, I'm not working with either of these agencies. Trust is basic,
... See more
Hi Again,

Soonthon,

Yes, there is Blue-board... but the question is how reliable is it? This agency has a BB rating of 4... what does it say?

And I know another case where the BB record has ratings by "acquaintances etc." (have already told proz about it).

So everything is possible around here

and no, I'm not working with either of these agencies. Trust is basic, in addition to a contract, and it'd be difficult to trust them.

Ruth,

I agree with you. They don't deserve to be here... but they are.

Regards,

Ritu
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:51
English to German
+ ...
Action on improper entries Apr 18, 2007

Hi Ritu,
Would you please contact me through my profile, indicating which outsourcer you're referring to?

Not much per se - depends on who posted the entry(ies). I would recommend to not only look at average LWA, but also at the profiles of those who posted.

If you see a suspicious entry, please contact a Jobs/BB moderator (one at a time, please). You may want to note that BB entries are vetted by moderators - whenever we see an empty (or otherwise suspicious) entry, we will check. But obviously, we cannot call every poster.

I agree with you. They don't deserve to be here... but they are.

Do they have a ProZ.com profile, or are they only listed with a Blue Board record?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blue board and not profile Apr 18, 2007

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for telling me, evidently this agency doesn't have a profile but a blue-board record... and I've already made a call for entry for this agency, so that maybe others who have had some experience may add something... at least, I hope.

Regards,

Ritu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange Payment Terms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »