Mobile menu

How to bill for a PDF to Excel translation
Thread poster: lolalorr
lolalorr  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
French to English
Apr 27, 2007

Hi. I've been translating for a while, but I've only recently started doing freelance work. I just did a HUGE translation for a client: 30 pages of tax forms from PDF print outs. I had to completely recreate all the forms and translate all the terms (accounting, OUCH!) and fill in all the numerical values. It was VERY labor-intensive. Now I'm wondering how I should bill for this. I only specified a per word rate when I agreed to work for the agency. Excel doesn't do word counts but even if I could count the words, I think that there should also be some sort of extra charge for entering the numerical values and formatting all those forms. Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree to rates before starting job Apr 27, 2007

It would be unfair for you to impose an extra rate after completing the job at an agreed per-word rate. To do so is bad business practice. In my opinion, this time you should take the loss and consider it tuition in the School of Real Life Business.

Having had this experience, you now know that if you have such a job in the future, you will need to take the extra work into account before agreeing on a rate with the client. You already have a good idea of how much work is involved, so you will know what is a fair price to charge for the additional formatting. If, on a future occasion, the formats are different and you suspect the workload may be different, it is worth doing a sample and timing yourself so that you can accurately set your price for the actual amount of work involved.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
Danish to English
+ ...
hourly rate Apr 27, 2007

Before you accept a project, get to know what it requires from you. In this case, I believe you should charge by the hour. What is your time worth? If you know how many words you can translate on an average in one hour, then you could use that price for your hourly rate. But again, to get paid for all the work you need to be sure that you know what your client wants, and then have a contract before you begin.

translator li
Local time: 17:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use your computer skill Apr 29, 2007

You need not recreate the form and others.Use a PDF coverter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to bill for a PDF to Excel translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs