Thread poster: Hipyan Nopri

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
May 21, 2007

Dear Fellow Translators,

Just now, my old client offered me a translation job.

Everything is alright but one thing. He asked me to find a proofreader for the text I will translate.

To me, this would be too subjective and risky. I think he should find him/her himself.

What do you think of this request?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Best Regards

Hipyan

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Find someone you worked with before May 21, 2007

Dear Hipyan,

Don't you have someone you've worked with before? I have a number of colleagues I have worked with on some projects, where we all worked for the same agency. They translated part of the project, and I proofread their translation, and I translated other parts, which they proofread.
If I would ever have to find a proofreader for my own work, I would contact them. I know their standards and their level of professionalism, and I'd be comfortable with that.
So, if you have ever worked in a team with other translators, I suggest you ask one of them.

I would make sure that both the client and the proofreader know who's who, so to speak. Have them exchange adresses and such. In case of a conflict, or payment problems, you should not have to be an intermediary. Let them sort it out between them.

Good luck!
Margreet

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Imagine you were unable to do it May 21, 2007

Considering this is an old client of yours, just imagine you were unable to do it yourself, due to any non-technical reason you can think of (e.g. having to travel, work overload, conflict of interests, personal/family problems, whatever). Who would you recommend to replace you?

Get that person to proofread your work.

Depending on the purpose/subject of the translation, the client should review it, but that's just for checking if there is anything inadequate (maybe even in the original text), not for finding mistakes or better ways to say the same thing.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:10
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I actually prefer to recommend proofreaders myself May 21, 2007

I agree with the two opinions above. I prefer to recommend a colleague that I value for his professional work for either translation or proofreading whenever clients requests it. So far I have recommended a lot of translators and proofreaders to my own clients and to prospective clients that I had to turn down for some reason. I do not see any reason not to.

This cements your relationship with the client and the colleague as well. It shows the client that you are very secure and confident in your own work. It is also increasingly important to cooperate with peers. Plus, you can be sure that your work will be proofread by a professional linguist.

[Editat la 2007-05-21 13:26]

Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to know qualified fellow translators/proofreaders other than having worked on the same project? May 21, 2007

Thank you Margreet, Jose, and Cristiana. It seems to be a good idea.

In fact, I have ever worked with a fellow translator on the same project for an agency before.

Indeed, it would be helpful if we are familiar with many qualified fellow translators.

But, how to know qualified fellow translators/proofreaders other than having worked on the same project?

Of course, we may examine sample translations displayed on a translator's profile. However, without enough interactive discussions like those during working on the same project, we will not have comprehensive conclusion of his/her competence.

Hipyan

[Edited at 2007-05-21 14:19]

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:10
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Preferable to pick your own proofreader May 22, 2007

My feeling is the opposite of the start of this topic. I have all of my work (aside from certificates) proofread. If I feel confident about about translation, but need someone to polish my English (target language) phasing, I have found a very professional proofreader who has no need to prove that he is a better translator than me. If the document is tricky and and I need confirmation of my translation, I use translators with the opposite direction. I don't always agree with their English, but it assures me (and give me power if I need it) when dealing with the client.

The alternative is the agency proofreader, who often feels a need to justify his/her expense by noting numerous changes of style that have no effect on the document. I recently wrote to an agency who sent me a "corrected version" for my information that there was only one mistake in the whole document, with the rest being purely stylistic preferences of a disputable nature.

So, it is better to pick your proofreader who checks the document for what that should be checked - spelling, syntax, grammar, terminology, and translation issues.

As for Hipyan's comments, you pick proofreaders like agencies pick translators: If a person "appears" professional, you try once. If s/he is not good enough, find someone else next time.

Stephen Rifkind

Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Stephen May 22, 2007

rifkind wrote:

As for Hipyan's comments, you pick proofreaders like agencies pick translators: If a person "appears" professional, you try once. If s/he is not good enough, find someone else next time.

Stephen Rifkind

Your suggestion is worth a try.

Hipyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a Proofreader for a Client

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs