Mobile menu

Checking out new outsourcers - what do you suggest I do?
Thread poster: Angelica Kjellström

Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2007

An outsourcer from USA contacted me about a large scale project about to start on Monday, July 18. They found me through I tried to check them out through clients and on the web as well, searching on both their company name (the web site they stated) and their phone no. I only got one hit on their phone no, but their web site did not open.

Iam afraid that this could be a non-serious attempt to reach a translator as they did not say anything about the subject matter and as their web site seems not to exist.

What do you suggest me to do?

Best regards,
Angelica Kjellström

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-18 10:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be careful... Jun 16, 2007

...get your money up-front.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Angelica Jun 16, 2007

Try the Blue Board. If they are not listed on BB, you can ask other translators to make entries about their experience with that company. This link explains you how you can do that .

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Ask for references Jun 16, 2007

Hi Angelica, If I was in your shoes I would be distrustful too. Something similar happened to me lately and I asked for references.
Derek (Catherine Tate Show) would say:"How very dare you!"
But I explained to the agency that I could not find any meaningful details about them. I bet you're not surprised that I didn't get an answer.
I mean we don't have to feel obliged to read all the hitchhiker's guide to galaxy just to find some details about outsourcers. And we are sick of reading tea leaves too, right?

[Edited at 2007-06-16 21:46]

Helene Martin-Hernandez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
English to French
+ ...
Details Jun 17, 2007

Hello Angelica,

To start with, I think it's important for you to ask for their details.
To give you an idea, at the beginning of this year, a company contacted me through a website where they had found my details. The communication seemed ok (they had even sent me sample documents, were talking about long-term relationship, etc. )until I asked them for details of their company (their website did not show anything at all, not even a telephone nb or an email address). Since then, I haven't heard from them.
I'm pretty sure that if I had started to work for them without asking for those details, I would not have been paid.
In any case, if you are not sure and find this dodgy, I would advise you not to take the job.

I hope this helps.

Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
German to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks for all replies! Jun 17, 2007

I have decided not to go any further with this contact thanks to your replies. Also, my own hesitation about this client tells me to be careful.

All my best,
Angelica Kjellström

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Checking out new outsourcers - what do you suggest I do?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs