Mobile menu

Off topic: help me with inventing some good advertising words
Thread poster: Doroto
Doroto
Local time: 07:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 23, 2007

I am going to build a website in English (www.doroto.com, the one you view is gong to be changed drastically except for the contents contained therein) promoting my legal translation business, and it is under construction by a IT company.

Meanwhile, on this website, I also keep a channel for my legal business as a lawyer but in nature, both belong to service industry, so I want to have some advertising words or slogan put there for both services.

It is requisite to have some words or sentences which can would easily impress a visitor to a website while closely associated with the contents or business thereof.

As a Chinese person, I know the end of my tether in inventing such words or sentences since it takes really creative minds with solid mastery of English language. Therefore, I hereby seek your help, dear friends.

Could you give me any advice? Please make sure you come up with such words or sentences on your own!

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:43
German to English
+ ...
Feeling or content? Jun 23, 2007

Do you just want "advertising words", i.e. the sort of empty slogan full of "feeling" but devoid of any real meaning that you can see on dozens and dozens of boring agency websites around the world?

Or do you want to SAY SOMETHING?

What articles, information or other interesting CONTENT can you offer? What have you learned from working with clients. For example, can you offer any insights on comparative legal systems, the requirements for drafting contracts or setting up companies in different countries or something like that?

Your website should show what YOU can offer. Your unique selling point. You can only know that yourself - none of us can tell you.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
fully agree with Victor Jun 23, 2007

Hello Doroto,
I must say I was really surprised to read your post. First of all, I fully agree with Victor. Moreover, you should know what kind of service you provide, and not us. Moreover if you translate into English (as it says in your profile), what’s the problem to create few advertising sentences? If I look for a Chinese translator, or any other, for sure I would not bother about nice, smart advertising wordings (which usually doesn’t say anything and sound just cheap). I would check fields of your expertise, your client lists, references etc.
Because this what really matters.
>>Please make sure you come up with such words or >>sentences on your own!
I will not comment this one
cheers
Ewa

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Must know your clientele Jun 23, 2007

And we do not know your clientele. It is especially important to tailor the message to them.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:43
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Try the sloganizer Jun 23, 2007

...he won't even charge you

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
a profile karaoke is urgently needed Jun 23, 2007

I am going to build a website ...

I used to depend on the BSgrinder.org, but I am afraid since those times it has run out of steam - I mean out of hot air....

Regards

Vito

PS: its Saturday night and my Mr Hyde is out to have some fun.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
What are advertising words? Jun 23, 2007

I would like to quote the motto of my former employer McCann-Erickson:

Truth Well Told.

Which is why I fully agree with Victor.

Doroto
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks you all, anyway Jun 24, 2007

You all are right in pointing out that juice matters more than peel and I truly understand it.

I summarize the CONTENT of the website as follows: as a lawyer, I (actually the team) offer legal service in areas of foreign investment in China from entity formation to M&A and etc., and as a legal translator (actually I want to run a translation company specializing in legal translation), we offer legal translation with better accurracy and style.

Such advertising words or slogan is just intended to make the website appear more professional or somehow more impressive ( at least this is my intention), therefore, this is of more interests in formy rather than in substance.

Those words may squarely belong to what Victor termed as " empty slogan full of feeling and devoid of any real meaning". Like this one, "Professionalism makes us go one step further", "some lawyers worry about the billable hours, our lawyers worry about results".

I am a little bit surprised to find that it seems to me that you people in the west do not like such polishing techniques but this is a common practice to find slogans in a chinese website.

Well, anyway, thanks those above.

BTW, except telling me it is not a good idea, I would like further to know what the good ideas are.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
You just answered your own question quite brilliantly Jun 24, 2007

Doroto wrote:

As a lawyer, I offer legal service in areas of foreign investment in China from entity formation to M&A, etc., and as a legal translator I offer legal translation with better accuracy and style.

That's the core message. No tinsel or emotions necessary. This is excellent, it is highly impressive, it's to the point, it is the truth and this is what your company does. It demonstrates that you are highly-specialized, which in return shows that you must be darn good in this field. It sounds pricey, too, and this is what you should go for. I would hire you.

Unfortunately, the majority of people have a pretty weird understanding of advertising, because they only recall screaming home-made car dealer commercials, moronic empty phrases that are supposed to "transpire a feel", or hammering staccatos of repetitions and similar cr..p, committed by some stuffed shirts and people who are considered designers because they know how to operate a Macintosh.

Ack, I could go on but I will shut up now and finish my job.

[Edited at 2007-06-24 15:11]

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I looked at your existing website Jun 24, 2007

Actually, it is quite a good start.
You start to offer some information about Chinese law. But it seems that you haven't yet got very far. If you could build on the website to give real information about a range of legal subjects in China, this would make it an interesting read for people who want to know more about the law in the country.

On my system the text comes out rather small and difficult to read; I don't know whether that is because of my computer's settings or because of the website layout. But if you already have an IT expert on the job, he/she can help you with clear readability.

One other thing is the text itself - there are mistakes in the English, and the style could be made easier to read. As you offer Chinese to English translations, you probably have an English native speaker who could help you to make the language attractive and correct. Otherwise you could hire someone to do this - perhaps an English speaker working in a language school locally.

Doroto
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Victor, it is just a rough start Jun 25, 2007

Thanks Victor.

That existing website you can see is one made in a rash and the English I wrote has yet to be polished and sure I have native English spoken friends who can help me do that.

Since I am going to rebulid the website which is under way, I just leave it there for a while untill a new one comes up.

Sorry for that bad readability, it is not because of your computer (so don't scold your pc) but our layout of the website. It will be fine later.

As you said, I will write as much as I can about the legal system in China with a veiw to making the web informative for foreinger who would want to know something about China's law.

Thanks again, dear friend.

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
The value of a copywriter Jun 25, 2007

Doroto wrote:

I am a little bit surprised to find that it seems to me that you people in the west do not like such polishing techniques but this is a common practice to find slogans in a chinese website.

Nope, nope, nope.
It's a standard practice in the "west" and a cornerstone of the majority of marketing strategies.

In fact, this is exactly what a copywriter does. For example, I was hired to write a nice slogan for a new division of a Swiss bank.

If this is very important to you, hire a professional, but it's difficult for anyone of us to answer you, since we'd need to be briefed in detail about your company, what makes it different, who you target, which cultures, what tone (humoristic, professional) etc. etc. etc. And that's a real job.

Otherwise, like Victor said, you can stick with 'general' slogans.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help me with inventing some good advertising words

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs