Mobile menu

Translating entire books on a public forum
Thread poster: _forumuser_
_forumuser_
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 4, 2007

Hi. I hope this is the right place to ask. I have a question. Can resorting too often to an online public translation forum for help be considered a copyright violation, or a breaching of the translator/publisher agreement? I am not talking the occasional doubt here, but a systematic word for word or line by line public discussion of the work being translated. I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 22:33
German
+ ...
This is kind of an aside, but... Jul 4, 2007

...any translator who would have to rely on help from his/her colleagues in such an extensive fashion would probably have been better off declining the job in the first place.

Best regards,
Benjamin

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:33
agree with Benjamin Jul 4, 2007

Nothing wrong with asking for help now and then or using the internet for research, of course.

However, I think using forums all the time indicates that the asker is either too lazy and/or incompetent to do the job him/herself. The translation of books is a very serious matter and it should not be assigned to someone who is not up to the task.

As regards violation etc, I don't know the legal ins and outs of that. I would think that you would have to credit the people who assisted you, but I don't know if that is the case for sure.

[Edited at 2007-07-04 11:35]

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It always depends on the agreement Jul 4, 2007

and the type of the original document.

Unless it was already published on the web for free, you should always try to give away as much of a text as necessary and as little as possible so the people who offer their help know what they need but do not learn about the whole text.

If you discuss it line by line in an open forum I would guess it is a breach of copyright.

And I fully agree with Benjamin. This is not what translator forums and translations are about.

_forumuser_
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
major bestseller Jul 5, 2007

Thank you, everyone. Let me clarify I am not the lazy translator in question. The work is a best selling novel by a major author, so I would imagine the agreement is very strict regarding reproduction and confidentiality. I am thinking of contacting the author to ask what she thinks. Do you think that would be excessive?

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:33
send them a mail... Jul 5, 2007

_forumuser_ wrote:

Thank you, everyone. Let me clarify I am not the lazy translator in question. The work is a best selling novel by a major author, so I would imagine the agreement is very strict regarding reproduction and confidentiality. I am thinking of contacting the author to ask what she thinks. Do you think that would be excessive?

Glad to hear it is not you

I think if the post/translation/text falls within the remit of literary criticism, then it is OK provided the poster names their sources. However it is probably no harm to draw the publisher or author's attention to it and they can take it from there.

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How about contacting the translator first? Jul 5, 2007

_forumuser_ wrote:

Why don't you discuss this topic on the forum where the book is being discussed or contact the translator first, pointing out your concern? Very often people make mistakes out of ignorance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating entire books on a public forum

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs