How do you cope with payment relating to non-agencies?
Thread poster: redred

redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 13, 2007

Would you ask him/her paying 50% of amount in advance upon the confirmation of translation? How do you deal with the remaining 50%?

Do you receive payment after a few hours the translation text is sent? Or alternative?

In western countries, people enjoy the privilege of consumption in the priority, then payment, doesn't them? The case is applicable to a GENTLEMAN only, anyway, people in the world not all are GENTLEMEN, especially the virtual internet world.

[Edited at 2007-07-13 09:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Depends Jul 13, 2007

From private people I would ask advanced payment, but from established firms (direct clients) I would expect the same treatment as from agencies and would treat them the same way.
Cheers
Heinrich

redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
earlier or delay Jul 13, 2007

Hi, Heinrich

It’s pleasurable to work for a direct client, they are willing to put 50% deposit in advance, I always think I can’t disappoint his/her kindness when I am translating, because agencies would let me wait a few weeks.

If the payment method you treat a direct client is at the same way of agency, what's advantaous you find this customer? Besides the rate is high compared with an agency gives you, no quick payment, are you satisfied with the delay payment? Possibly an agency treat them like that, an individual comparatively fails to compete an agency, to do so.

redred

[Edited at 2007-07-13 13:20]

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:46
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Individuals: Full payment in advance Jul 14, 2007

My usual practice is to ask for full payment in advance from Individuals (direct clients) because they may be difficult to track.

When I started out as a translator I used to treat them like agencies and companies but a few experiences later and after losing some money, I decided that it was not worth it. So the two choices were either take an advance payment or not to work for individual clients at all.

And I still work on the same principle. Either they have to pay full amount in advance or I do not work with them.

But it is different for direct clients who are companies and organisations. They are easier to track and I have a formal contract with them in which everything is clearly mentioned.

Satto (Roberto)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:46
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not so fast Jul 14, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

My usual practice is to ask for full payment in advance from Individuals (direct clients) because they may be difficult to track.

All of my clients are direct and the first thing one should create is a common ground of trust and have that 6th sense in knowing who to deal with. If I had asked any of my clients to pay upfront I guess I would not be in business. I have not been stolen from and hope not to be. The only one that has evev stolen/scammed me from me was a ProZ paying member!

Maybe it's just me, but sincerely, I consider it a bad business practice if I have a direct client abroad and before even writing my first sentence, I'm stretching my hand because I don't trust my customer.

I contact my clients and create a trust relationship with them, to me that is the first rule with a client, not give him the first impression that I don't trust him and give me my money or else..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you cope with payment relating to non-agencies?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums