Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:46
Catalan to English
+ ...
Really? Jul 18, 2007

Michał Szcześniewski wrote:

It sounds like a pretty new business, so I think the "premier companies" are researching the market.

Growing number of such offers will mean a 'Yes' answer to your question Jenny.

It sound to me like a pretty old business: fraud.

Andy

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
new type of old business Jul 18, 2007

Andy Watkinson wrote:
It sound to me like a pretty old business: fraud.
Andy

I meant a new type of old business. Some people are inventive when it comes to that...

I expect their next step will bring lower "performance guarantees".

Michał

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can't believe this Jul 19, 2007

[quote]Martine Soulet wrote:

megane_wang wrote:

The argument was to say "we went through some providers who did not respect the deadlines (20-25 days to complete 15000 words) or who did not respect quality standards.

Martine

So what is the actual job of this "agency"? Where is the professionalism in the translators' selection and project management?

Also, this is just statistics: 1 in 100 people might accept the "deal".

I'm too struck by this to thread my argument.

Take care,

Andrés

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blackmail Jul 19, 2007

That was not a blackmail, not an offer. I have never received that kind of blackmail in my translator carreer.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Their way of earning money ... Jul 19, 2007

Martine Soulet wrote:

"We had some problems with some of our providers so, we're now obliged to ask every provider for a warranty of about 4800 euros that we reimburse after 2 or 3 projects"

That's what it is. If you had paid, they would have said, "Thank you very much, Martine", and that would have been it. They would not have given you any work, and they would not have paid your money back because - no projects, no reimbursement of your "performance bond". That's even worse than the old "Nigerian connection".

Best wishes,
LB

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:46
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This reminds me... Jul 19, 2007

of a phone call that I received a couple of months ago.

A US-based company called and interviewed me for approximately 20 minutes regarding qualification, expertise, experience and what not. The regular thing.

Obviously the person was sufficiently impressed and started describing a highly technical, largish project that he wanted me to take care of. "Your payment is guaranteed and will be on time. We are taking pride in being a broker as well as protecting our linguis
... See more
of a phone call that I received a couple of months ago.

A US-based company called and interviewed me for approximately 20 minutes regarding qualification, expertise, experience and what not. The regular thing.

Obviously the person was sufficiently impressed and started describing a highly technical, largish project that he wanted me to take care of. "Your payment is guaranteed and will be on time. We are taking pride in being a broker as well as protecting our linguists!", he continued, "and here is the deal: In return for our protective function for you, your rate will be 2 cents. Are you interested?"

[Silence]

After I was done with laughing he suddenly had an urgent call on the other line and noticed that his agency unfortunately had no projects for me at this time.

New breed of Mafia for the translation industry or what is going on?

An hour later the job was advertised on Proz.com for 5 cents.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency says, "pay me and I will give you work"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »