Thread poster: Martine Soulet (X)
Martine Soulet (X)
Martine Soulet (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:17
English to French
+ ...
Jul 18, 2007

Here is what I was told yesterday. I was called by a French based so-called "premier company". At first, they proposed something quite attractive, suggesting a monthly volume of about 15000 words each month, with a contract. The talk was going on and suddenly the guy at the end of the line tells me this :

"We had some problems with some of our providers so, we're now obliged to ask every provider for a warranty of about 4800 euros that we reimburse after 2 or 3 projects"

... See more
Here is what I was told yesterday. I was called by a French based so-called "premier company". At first, they proposed something quite attractive, suggesting a monthly volume of about 15000 words each month, with a contract. The talk was going on and suddenly the guy at the end of the line tells me this :

"We had some problems with some of our providers so, we're now obliged to ask every provider for a warranty of about 4800 euros that we reimburse after 2 or 3 projects"

In other terms "give me 4800 euros first and after that I will give you work". It's the second time since I settled as a freelancer that I have this kind of conversation. I refused, mainly because of the amount asked, as I fear I will never have my money back after that. Second, they pretend being a "premier company" but after a quick check, the company was created in late 2006. I know some companies grow very fast but between late 2006 and now, barely one year and they already are a "premier company"? I am doubting...

Did you ever come accros this kind of situation ?

Best
Martine

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-19 18:05]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You were right to reject this "offer" Jul 18, 2007

Hi Martine,

I've never came across such a situation before but this scheme looks like a real rip-off - so steer well clear of these people. Rejecting this "offer" was the right thing to do.

Steffen

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is robbery. Jul 18, 2007

That's it.

What the hell is that? "A problem with a provider" ? Which sort of "problem"? What do 4800 Euros guarantee??

I hope they have what they deserve: a lot of "NO WAY!!!" messages, and posting their name everywhere.

With 15.000 words/month I do NOT EVEN apply any "big volume" discount.

Oh, GOD. That's real sh**t.

Ruth @ MW

Martine Soulet (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bad quality problem Jul 18, 2007

[quote]megane_wang wrote:

That's it.

What the hell is that? "A problem with a provider" ? Which sort of "problem"? What do 4800 Euros guarantee??

The argument was to say "we went through some providers who did not respect the deadlines (20-25 days to complete 15000 words) or who did not respect quality standards. So we will give you 2 or 3 jobs and see how you meet the deadlines and respect the quality. If everything is ok, we will give you your money back /:)."

I suppose this kind of guy is able to reject quality for any reason whatsoever to keep the money...

Martine

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Incredible! Jul 18, 2007

This ranks up there with the famous Nigerian money laundering scams

Romy Retzlaff
Romy Retzlaff  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Never accept something like this!!! Jul 18, 2007

I already heard about something like this last week, when meeting with other translators in Marseille who told me they had been contacted by this kind of agencies.

(The same kind of 'practice' exists in the field of real estate.)

Viele Grüsse,

Romy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple solution... Jul 18, 2007

The solution here is really simple: tell them that you had problems with some bad paying agencies, so you would like to ask them for a 9000 Eur warranty... They cannot reject that line of reasoning, can they?

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:17
Latvian to English
+ ...
Scam, pure and simple! Jul 18, 2007

"I suppose this kind of guy is able to reject quality for any reason whatsoever to keep the money..."

...that's if he actually has any work to give you in the first place...

I like Jabberwock's solution though!

[Edited at 2007-07-18 12:04]

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
taking it to the next level... Jul 18, 2007

Yes, rejecting the offer was the only option.

We used to joke with some fellow translators here in Poland that since rates are closing down to [insert your currency] 0.00, the next step for us would be to pay for having jobs. Well, I guess we're reaching that point...

I really hope this will not become our "industry standard" one day...

Regards,
Michał

Martine Soulet (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
id Jul 18, 2007

Jana Teteris wrote:

"I suppose this kind of guy is able to reject quality for any reason whatsoever to keep the money..."

...that's if he actually has any work to give you in the first place...

I like Jabberwock's solution though!

[Edited at 2007-07-18 12:04]

I like Jabberwock's solution too... I should have thought of it

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Use it next time Jul 18, 2007

Martine Soulet wrote:
I like Jabberwock's solution too... I should have thought of it

Bear it in mind for next time and use it whenever such a business proposition is offered to you.

Steffen

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Performance guarantees Jul 18, 2007

Geez, and just when you thought things couldn't get more ludicrous.

And I suppose it had to be in cash, right?

[Edited at 2007-07-18 13:18]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Outrageous! Jul 18, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

The solution here is really simple: tell them that you had problems with some bad paying agencies, so you would like to ask them for a 9000 Eur warranty... They cannot reject that line of reasoning, can they?

You're right, Jabberwock. What an outrageous "offer" from the "premier company"! Another suggestion you could make to them is that an escrow account be set up at your lawyer's office in which the funds are held on deposit for a time to be agreed - not that you'd really do this, but just to show them "que tu n'es pas née hier".
Kind regards,
Jenny.
PS. I wonder if anyone actually agrees to such arrangements ...

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
we'll see Jul 18, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:
PS. I wonder if anyone actually agrees to such arrangements ...

It sounds like a pretty new business, so I think the "premier companies" are researching the market.

Growing number of such offers will mean a 'Yes' answer to your question Jenny.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:17
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good on ya Jabberwocky... Jul 18, 2007

I am now considering a revolutionary new business practice in which I ask for a deposit (similar to what was discussed) to be held in the case that the text I am asked to translate offends my literary or grammatical sensibilities (one I did yesterday comes to mind...), and I need to buy a nice bottle of wine to make myself forget the horror.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency says, "pay me and I will give you work"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »