Mobile menu

Got a request for EN 15038 certified agencies only. Change of the tide?
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder
Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
German to French
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

Dear all,

Today I got the first request for quote for EN 15038 certified agencies only (one has to show a copy of the certificate).

Of course I am not certified and I can't applied (so far I haven't seen it as necessary because most request were tied with urgent, low budget, impossible language pairs (the rest are building my client, who trust me when I tell them it has to be a certain way). So far I had not seen as to bring something to invest in this piece of paper.

Are you seeing a change of the tide (i.e. clients concerned about quality so that they ask for a certificate that maybe 3-4 agencies in Austria own?)

[Edited at 2007-07-19 10:15]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-19 17:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Google Docs helped to handle this... EN-15038 Aug 29, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Dear all,

Today I got the first request for quote for EN 15038 certified agencies only (one has to show a copy of the certificate).
So far I had not seen as to bring something to invest in this piece of paper.

Are you seeing a change of the tide (i.e. clients concerned about quality so that they ask for a certificate that maybe 3-4 agencies in Austria own?)

[Edited at :15]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator :58]

Well yes, this prompted me to use Google Docs:
http://docs.google.com/

and to create my Preparation Checklist for Translations EN-15038:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg9xxrf5_54fmnpcx

Google Docs really has the functions you need to handle this.

James O'Reilly e-i-consulting

German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EN 15038 Aug 29, 2007

Dear all,

after the 5th or 6th desperate request (some said they asked everywhere and found nobody, where should they ask for?) after this piece of paper in one month, I decided to start writing the documentation about it. It my be that the clients don't have an idea about translation but the ones who have a quality assurance system want to add this piece of paper to their documentation of the product they produce to ensure that they took care of some standard in the translation.

Wish me luck, my quality assurance system may reach 10 pages if I expand things a bit.

Yolande

German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not fully applicable for me Aug 29, 2007

James O'Reilly wrote:

Unfortunately it may be applicable for you but not for me because first of hand the requirements of the ÖNORM are structured in another way, some of the points that will be checked for the audit seems to be different, and last but not least, my agency is structured in another way, with freelancers and a more complex client/translator management system, where I don't have a fixed system for a specific client or a translator but rather some kind of framework which is managed through an automated database (I mean, not 2 clients have the same price or even sometimes the same price between 2 orders, the same condition of payment and the translators have varying language combinations, prices or even speed of work).

Your agency is bilingual with strong basis on CAT, my agency can provide services between about 30 languages and requires a strong quality management system when working between 2 foreign languages.

Some of the points may be interesting to consider, though.

James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Continuous Improvement Aug 29, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

James O'Reilly wrote:

Unfortunately it may be applicable for you but not for me because first of hand the requirements of the ÖNORM are structured in another way, some of the points that will be checked for the audit seems to be different, and last but not least, my agency is structured in another way, with freelancers and a more complex client/translator management system, where I don't have a fixed system for a specific client or a translator but rather some kind of framework which is managed through an automated database (I mean, not 2 clients have the same price or even sometimes the same price between 2 orders, the same condition of payment and the translators have varying language combinations, prices or even speed of work).

Your agency is bilingual with strong basis on CAT, my agency can provide services between about 30 languages and requires a strong quality management system when working between 2 foreign languages.

Some of the points may be interesting to consider, though.

Interesting to know...yes, i agree, this standard assumes a contingency approach, thus kicking-off a communication process.

Where are the interface problems between my grassroots view, and your larger organizational structure and host-country contingencies?

Maybe you could share some insights and make yourself part of the benchmarking crowd.

James O'Reilly e-i-consulting

German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interface problems: Aug 29, 2007

So if I may translate from the German, I have to fill:

1. Generalities: I must describe the processes I use when subcontracting.
2. Management personal resources: professional competences of the translators, professional competences of the proofreader and editor, professional development.
3. Technical ressources (your was inspiring, mine was not so details as about which software.
4.Quality management: here it is a bit different because I am mainly outsourcing, you are mainly doing thing indoors so you can control things that I can't (for instance what the translator does in his 4 rooms) and in the contrary to me you are limited by what you can't offer.
5. Project manager: Since I am outsourcing, I have to describe the activities a bit more.
6. Relations to the client, again my clients have more varied needs since I offer my services in more languages, but in the end it's the same. Treatment of the orders are obviously different since I have to subcontract and I don't want to end up taking an assignment that no one wants (too late to say no). Offer and Agreement. On the offer, you have fixed conditions, I work on the case for case basis.
7. Informations to the client related to the project. I am not sure you detailed it.
8. Closing of a project. Not sure it's described either
9. Management of the translation process. You don't have much so manage if you translate yourself.
10. Preparation of the document. Either you take it or leave it.
11. Translation process: OK, more or less the same steps except I have more things to consider when I outsource.

In the end, I have to describe it a bit more like you did, and at the moment it's a raw document without header of footers and no sources since it is only how I work and not a scientific document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a request for EN 15038 certified agencies only. Change of the tide?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs