project management program for a translator
Thread poster: Vladimir Dubisskiy

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 22, 2007

Please share your experience re. some simple free/ inexpensive solution (program) for tracking POs and invoicing for a freelancer.

Thank you all!

Direct link Reply with quote

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Possible Solution(s) Jul 22, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Please share your experience re. some simple free/ inexpensive solution (program) for tracking POs and invoicing for a freelancer.

Thank you all!

Hi Gentleman:

The first possible solution is that you should try Translation Office 3000, V8 and/or Projetex of AIT that you can find its link through my profile. I think it may be helpful and productive, if reasonable.

Best wishes,

Vibol Keo

[Edited at 2007-07-22 04:54]

[Edited at 2007-07-22 05:01]

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keeping it simple Jul 22, 2007

I imagine specialized software is necessary for an agency. As a freelancer, however, I'm able to track everything I need to on simple spreadsheets.

I imagine things may be more complicated in countries where translators have to charge VAT, though.

Mark Xiang
Local time: 09:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well-organized/formated Excel Spreadsheet is good and enough for freelancers Jul 22, 2007

As I see it and according to my experience.

Just as Steven said, do not try to make the simple complecated.

^_^

Mark

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 02:14
Translation office 3000 Jul 22, 2007

It cost me about €149 at the time, but you'd make that back very quickly. It is a great programme and I couldn't imagine being without it; saves on drawing up your own databases and templates in MS office.

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:14
Russian to English
TO 3000 vs Excel Jul 22, 2007

I have TO 3000 - I had version 7 and then updated to version 8, and sort of didn't really flow with the new updated version.

Since going full-time freelance I have been using Excel spreadsheets exclusively. I keep thinking about maybe giving TO another shot, even though I like my spreadsheets.

I'd also like to recommend a nice P&L "prepared" spreadsheet from a company called SimplePlanning - costs about $20 for a "pretty" spreadsheet. I'm sure some Prozians are skilled enough with XL to create something similar themselves, but I'm not.

http://www.simpleplanning.net/Business/P&LPlanner.html

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
spreadsheet and TO Jul 22, 2007

Indeed, it can be a nice option. Will look into it, though I am not that proficient with Excel.

Thank you, Steven, for the thought.

Re. TO, I have heard that V.7 is preferable by many comparing to V.8 - is it really a big difference?

[Edited at 2007-07-22 16:36]

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simple planning Jul 22, 2007

Thank you for Simple Planning, Megan, - looks promising to me.

Megan Lehmann wrote:
I'd also like to recommend a nice P&L "prepared" spreadsheet from a company called SimplePlanning - costs about $20 for a "pretty" spreadsheet. I'm sure some Prozians are skilled enough with XL to create something similar themselves, but I'm not.

http://www.simpleplanning.net/Business/P&LPlanner.html

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Translation Office 3000: v. 7 and v. 8 Jul 22, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Re. TO, I have heard that V.7 is preferable by many comparing to V.8 - is it really a big difference?

Vladimir, they changed the project/folder organization in version 8. Personally, I didn't like the new approach and decided to stay with version 7.

As a general note, TO 3000 is perfect for keeping track of assignments, invoices and payments.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Same here Jul 23, 2007

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
...Vladimir, they changed the project/folder organization in version 8. Personally, I didn't like the new approach and decided to stay with version 7....

I bought version 8, but I am still using v7. There are in v8 a few nice gizmos like charts, graphical schedule or custom filters, but I couldn't get my act together with the additional organisational layer named "project".

Anyway v7 was a great investment that advantageously replaced my boring Excel sheets.

Philippe

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all a lot Jul 23, 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you ALL a lot for taking your time to share!
Highly appreciated.

Vladimir

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
As a general note, TO 3000 is perfect for keeping track of assignments, invoices and payments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

project management program for a translator

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs