Bidder must live in ....
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

Often one of the requirements to be able to bid for a job-offer is that the bidder must live in the say the U.K., the Netherlands etc.
With translation this must live is "irrelevant" and I have the impression that some outsourcers just fill in their country to fill in a blank space.
With regard to interpreting, outsourcers try to cut travel and hotel costs.
Nowadays, there are quite a number of low-cost carriers like Ryanair, AirBerlin, Wizzair, BlueAir.... and therre is the Eurostar between Brussels and London. Price €80. It's faster to take the Eurostar than to commute from say Oxford to London.
At these low-cost carriers the price of a ticket is low (usually hovers around €100-150) and for the Eurostar it's €80.
---
Instead of hotels, one can always couchsurf or stay at a local colleague (against payment).
Therefore, shouldn't it be possible to offer the option that a suited candidate from outside the country where the event (conference, seminar, ...) is taking place can renounce per diems and bid anyway? These per diems can be included in the fee. It may be that because of "must live in" an able bidder loses a fine opportunity to add extra experience in his or her field. Usually at events, biz.cards are exchanged. The people behind these cards are potential customers. To me, having met those people is worth more than say €80 -150.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
You might mention it Aug 7, 2007

I recall an assignment I had one time working for an agency based in Washington D.C. I live in El Paso, Texas on the U.S.-Mexico border and the assignment was in New Orleans, LA which involved travel, hotel, per diem and the whole bit. However, it was cheaper for him to use someone from my area than someone from the D.C. area.

While there I met the owner who apparently had a good international business going. I asked him what the possibilities would be of working for him on such assignments. He said, "fine, except to make yourself competitive in most cases you would have to absorb part of the travel costs to put your costs on an equal footing with people from the D.C. area, which is where I draw from"; in other words, normally the price of airfare from El Paso to D.C. or other gateway city.

The advantage of course would be an international trip for which I would pay only part of the cost and I would also be paid for working.

Now I never did take him up on it, through the idea did sound intriguing.

So in those cases where the expense to you might be affordable and the experience worthwhile, you could consider making an offer where you absorb part of the travel cost, especially if you have a friend at the destination who will put you up on the couch.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about the bidding system. Aug 7, 2007

Yes, but doesn't the bidding system makes it impossible to bid if you don't live in the required country.
And why outsourcers post this condition with regard to translation remains a mystery to me? Everything with has to do with translation happens on-line.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Tax or legal reasons Aug 7, 2007

It can be frustrating, especially when you know you are fully qualified for the job and you have the resources.

Sometimes it could be the various costs previously mentioned, to do with travel or accommodation, or sometimes communication costs like on the phone or wherever.

It could also be that they want you to sign confidentiality agreements (particularly in the US) or tax forms and they feel that these are only enforceable in their countries. They may also feel more culturally comfortable with people from a particular area/ country.

Who knows?

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Network Aug 8, 2007

Maybe it would be best to network with colleagues across the Channel on interpreting jobs, telling them you would be glad to work with them when the chance comes up, while absorbing some of the travel costs so you are competitive with locals.

And yes, translation does not depend on location, at least not in terms of costs, but there are factors such as taxes, etc. that can complicate things.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:40
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Outsourcer preferences Aug 8, 2007

Williamson wrote:
And why outsourcers post this condition with regard to translation remains a mystery to me? Everything with has to do with translation happens on-line.

Not a mystery at all - outsourcers often (but not always) indicate a preference for translators living in the country of the target language/culture.

Steffen

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Their prerogative Aug 8, 2007

... for better or for worse.

They are footing the bill at the end of the day, so they can set whatever requirements they want, within the law - simple as that.

We may find it it unfair, frustrating, illogical, etc - that's just tough luck.

Might be worth dropping them a polite line though - where the contact details are given or can be traced - if you believe they need educating (even though you can't bid via the system).

Can't get anywhere in life if you don't try, right?

[Edited at 2007-08-08 14:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidder must live in ....

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs