Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 8, 2007

Hi,

Here's an excerpt of a job that I received from another site. Of course, the rate that is being offered is not at all acceptable... but the award-winning lines are the ones where the outsourcer mentions translator's "location".

I'm looking for a French-English translator based in North Africa or other country in Africa specialized in legal translations to translate some legal documents because the budget is tight ,we can just offer a price of 2 US cents per word. I want a translator based in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia or other country in North africa or other country in the Middle East or the caribbean will be okay. We need somebody with a great knowledge of English language. We will prefer somebody that have lived in United States or Canada. Selected translator will be considered for future projects. The translator could be from these nationalities but based in North Africa. Feel free to e-mail me at ****@yahoo.com or call me at my number in New Jersey,U.S.A ***-*****

Come on, looks like the job poster couldn't make up his mind.

It's sad. But I couldn't help laughing.

Just wanted to share this master-piece.

Ritu

p.s.: I've removed additional details (e-mail, phone number etc.) to comply with the site rules.

[Edited at 2007-08-08 05:58]

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 11:34
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A little bit too demanding Aug 8, 2007

I believe this outsourcer is looking for someone who is based in French-speaking countries in North Africa and has lived in North America. In this way, this freelancer may have a good command of some French terms that are unique in French-speaking countries in North Africa. Additionally, if this freelancer has ever lived in North America, he/she may have a proper command of American English.

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Great! Aug 8, 2007

You made my day! Thank you, Ritu!
Even if it's said - it was so funny to read all the alternatives.

Reminds me about my plans to migrate:
should preferrably be Uruguay, but is not a must.
USA would be nice - Canada, too - or what about France....... to be continued.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-08 12:54]

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:34
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Thank you so much! Aug 8, 2007

I'll copy that somewhere=)
Link for russian-speakers: http://perevedem-vse.ru/
Very similar approach=)

[Edited at 2007-08-08 08:51]

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:34
English to Latvian
+ ...
:) Aug 8, 2007

It's really funny, Ritu
-----------
Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

This is very interesting approach as well, he-he:) Especially regarding mistakes they claim to be their unique style

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:34
Member (2007)
English to Russian
other pages are even better Aug 8, 2007

Evija Rimšāne wrote:

It's really funny, Ritu
-----------
Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

This is very interesting approach as well, he-he:) Especially regarding mistakes they claim to be their unique style

Check section "Переводчики", obviously a lot of it will seem familiar.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:34
English to French
I don't qualify... Aug 8, 2007

And I lived only in the UK and I don't speak Legalese.
North-African French is a US invention, by the way.
I sometimes receive offers from US outsourcers to translate into North-African French, but I don't know what it is. Once I tell them Moroccan French is not documented, as the official language is classic Arabic, they probably have it translated by a regular French translator.
After ten years here, I have noticed very few local terms, such as "espadrilles" for sports shoes
... See more
And I lived only in the UK and I don't speak Legalese.
North-African French is a US invention, by the way.
I sometimes receive offers from US outsourcers to translate into North-African French, but I don't know what it is. Once I tell them Moroccan French is not documented, as the official language is classic Arabic, they probably have it translated by a regular French translator.
After ten years here, I have noticed very few local terms, such as "espadrilles" for sports shoes (tennis ou baskets [en français dans le texte] in French French) and 91, spoken quatre-vingt-et-onze instead of 91 in French French (Same for 81). And this is spoken language, I would be surprised to read it in any French-written local publication.
If the poster wanted cheap translations, I am afraid that even here, an average rate to end customers reaches a fantastic amount of USD0.15.
But maybe I am mistaken. I don't go out so often...
Philippe

[Modifié le 2007-08-08 19:21]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused outsourcer???

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »