Minimum fee, always or sometimes not?
Thread poster: Nina Spencer

Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:22
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

My question is about minimum fees.

I did quite a large project for an agency a while back. It was a translation of a user manual. Since then they have sent me (so far) 4 little additions to the translation. It isn't really the agency's fault , I think, as I think it is their client who is subsequently asking for words to be added (little notes, warnings etc). Some of these additions are as little as 10 words. Do I just do them (they need doing in tageditor and the memory updated etc) at the per-word rate of the original project (i.e. not really worth it for me) or do I do them stating I will need to charge my minimum fee to cover admin-time etc?

What do others do?

Nina

[Edited at 2007-08-28 15:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends; in this case... Aug 28, 2007

... I would add them all up and send an invoice once the total amount is a reasonable amount to send an invoice for. Because it is part of on ongoing project and you already have a TM for it and are familiar with it.

If they are 'stand alone' translations, I would apply the minimum fee.

My 2 cents!
Best,
Margreet

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Margreet Aug 28, 2007

In this specific case, I'd just invoice them collectively as updates at the end of each month.

I usually charge updates on an hourly basis but that is agreed beforehand.

It would be a bit difficult - after having done the first four - to turn round now and start trying to negotiate a minimum fee anyhow, I'd imagine.

If the situation does really become abusive, then speak your mind, but on the current facts it's how I'd deal with it.

[Edited at 2007-08-28 15:49]

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
See recent forum discussion Aug 28, 2007

Hi Nina,

This issue was discussed a couple of weeks ago:

See http://www.proz.com/post/641693

I think in your case I'd agree with the others and bill them at the end of the month. One-off small things should always attract a minimum fee though.

Good luck,

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum fee, always or sometimes not?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs