Thread poster: Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

My question is about minimum fees.

I did quite a large project for an agency a while back. It was a translation of a user manual. Since then they have sent me (so far) 4 little additions to the translation. It isn't really the agency's fault , I think, as I think it is their client who is subsequently asking for words to be added (little notes, warnings etc). Some of these additions are as little as 10 words. Do I just do them (they need doing in tageditor and the memory updated etc
... See more
My question is about minimum fees.

I did quite a large project for an agency a while back. It was a translation of a user manual. Since then they have sent me (so far) 4 little additions to the translation. It isn't really the agency's fault , I think, as I think it is their client who is subsequently asking for words to be added (little notes, warnings etc). Some of these additions are as little as 10 words. Do I just do them (they need doing in tageditor and the memory updated etc) at the per-word rate of the original project (i.e. not really worth it for me) or do I do them stating I will need to charge my minimum fee to cover admin-time etc?

What do others do?

Nina

[Edited at 2007-08-28 15:17]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends; in this case... Aug 28, 2007

... I would add them all up and send an invoice once the total amount is a reasonable amount to send an invoice for. Because it is part of on ongoing project and you already have a TM for it and are familiar with it.

If they are 'stand alone' translations, I would apply the minimum fee.

My 2 cents!
Best,
Margreet

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Margreet Aug 28, 2007

In this specific case, I'd just invoice them collectively as updates at the end of each month.

I usually charge updates on an hourly basis but that is agreed beforehand.

It would be a bit difficult - after having done the first four - to turn round now and start trying to negotiate a minimum fee anyhow, I'd imagine.

If the situation does really become abusive, then speak your mind, but on the current facts it's how I'd deal with it.

... See more
In this specific case, I'd just invoice them collectively as updates at the end of each month.

I usually charge updates on an hourly basis but that is agreed beforehand.

It would be a bit difficult - after having done the first four - to turn round now and start trying to negotiate a minimum fee anyhow, I'd imagine.

If the situation does really become abusive, then speak your mind, but on the current facts it's how I'd deal with it.

[Edited at 2007-08-28 15:49]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
See recent forum discussion Aug 28, 2007

Hi Nina,

This issue was discussed a couple of weeks ago:

See http://www.proz.com/post/641693

I think in your case I'd agree with the others and bill them at the end of the month. One-off small things should always attract a minimum fee though.

Good luck,

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum fee, always or sometimes not?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »