Mobile menu

Third-party client DEMANDING Wordfast TM
Thread poster: Pablo Mayen

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 29, 2007

Hi all,

This is my first experience regarding the sharing of my TM.

I have this agency I've been working with for quite some time. Last week I had a new job to be completed last Monday and I mentioned this agency (perhaps my bad) that I was working with a CAT tool for this job.

I received an email from the agency (upon my delivery of the translation) stating that the third party (i.e. the agency's client) REQUIRED the TM I used for that specific job. I said that such thing was beyond any discussion because of the effort I put into it (not to mention the loss of profit for the agency and me).

So far I haven't received any response from my client. Not afraid of being paid for that, but I'm not sure how I handled this situation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pablo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Should be agreed upon beforehand Aug 29, 2007

You could send them an uncleaned copy, so they can create their own TM. They can create an TM in any case by aligning the two docs.
Cheers
Heinrich


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:36
English to Russian
or... Aug 29, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You could send them an uncleaned copy, so they can create their own TM. They can create an TM in any case by aligning the two docs.
Cheers
Heinrich

or clean the file to blank TM and send it to the agency - that will prevent questions and will allow you to keep your other assets.
This demand is not unusual anyway.

[Edited at 2007-08-29 20:12]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Aug 30, 2007

I was also wondering if you handed over your TMs regardless of not agreeing beforehand...

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:36
English to Russian
erm Aug 30, 2007

I have always worked with TM, provided by the client and delivered unclean files, that they used to update TM.
So I don't really know, how I would act.

Just keep in mind, that they can always create TM by alligning source and target files. And it will take no more than couple of hours based on the file size.
So it's not worth a conflict


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two things... Aug 30, 2007

Pablo Mayen wrote:
I received an email from the agency (upon my delivery of the translation) stating that the third party (i.e. the agency's client) REQUIRED the TM I used for that specific job.


1. You are under no obligation to provide the TM because it wasn't said beforehand that the TM should be provided.

2. Instead of being difficult about it, why not just clean your existing unclean files against an empty TM and give them that TM? You won't be giving away anything they wouldn't be able to get themselves anyway.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxNMR
France
Local time: 16:36
French to Dutch
+ ...
In each case Aug 30, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Pablo Mayen wrote:
I received an email from the agency (upon my delivery of the translation) stating that the third party (i.e. the agency's client) REQUIRED the TM I used for that specific job.


1. You are under no obligation to provide the TM because it wasn't said beforehand that the TM should be provided.

2. Instead of being difficult about it, why not just clean your existing unclean files against an empty TM and give them that TM? You won't be giving away anything they wouldn't be able to get themselves anyway.

Don't give them a TM which contains segments from other clients, this should be confidentiality breach.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:36
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
same situation Sep 10, 2007

I had a same situation. Used to receive numerous source files in MS Word, was no requirement to use Trados or any other CAT tool, and one day I just mentioned that I use Trados, and the agency next time asked to give me the TM for already translated stuff and count the matches for the work already agreed. I said "no, we did not agree earlier" and said that it is my intellectual property. OK, this ended on this stage. But they again gave a new job and they already ask it to be done with Trados with "Trados discounts"...I do not know what to do - the rate they pay is not high enough to give any discounts - it does not make too much sense or interest to work on my lowest rate + make it even cheaper (despite that they always pay on time). What should I do? Maybe tell them in a plain text - OK, I will give you a Trados discount (and even, possibly, the TM), but I'd need you to revise the rate and increase it if we work with Trados? Interesting that they substantiated their request not for discounts to receive, but they wanted "consistency" of the translated texts that can be ensured with Trados. Polite people

Any other suggestions?



[Edited at 2007-09-10 10:10]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
German to English
+ ...
Already factored in Sep 10, 2007

MariusV wrote:

But they again gave a new job and they already ask it to be done with Trados with "Trados discounts"...I do not know what to do - the rate they pay is not high enough to give any discounts


Tell your customer that the "Trados discount" is already factored into your existing pricing. From what you say, that accurately describes the situation. If your customer wants Trados discounts, he will have to accept a higher base (non-discount) price.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third-party client DEMANDING Wordfast TM

Advanced search


Translation news





LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs