Thread poster: Elías Sauza

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2007

Last week or so I received an email invitation to join a translators' list, as I'm sure many of you did. The list contains hundreds of names of translators in many language combinations. It also shows the translators' rates.

I skimmed the English-Spanish pair list of translators. Their rates range from 0.02 - 0.24 Euros/source word.

I would not join such a list because I'm certain that my chances of getting a job would be negligible against rates as low as 0.02 Euros/word.

And the worst of all is that some translators work for less than 0.02 Euros/word, but the website system must not allow for less than that.

I can think of new translators who in their desire of gaining experience or getting clients offer those ridiculous rates, but I can't think of seasoned colleagues who work for peanuts.

I recall having read "13 years of experience" at 0.02 Euros/word. Our work and profession deserves more than that. Many people out there know it and make a living under that premise. However, there are many others who don't get it. That is pitiful.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 19:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:19
Italian to English
Hi Elías Aug 31, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:

And the worst of all is that some translators work for less than 0.02 Euros/word, but the website system must not allow for less than that.
I recall having read "13 years of experience" at 0.02 Euros/word. Our work and profession deserves more than that. Many people out there know it and make a living under that premise. However, there are many others who don't get it. That is pitiful.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 19:33]

Hi Elías,

You're not asking "what are my chances of getting a job": you're merely appalled that some outsourcers have the chutzpah to expect extremely low rates.

This may be a reasonable reaction from someone who has been working for many years for much higher fees but it doesn't really change anything. In any case, someone who is only willing to offer two eurocents a word may well have had bad experiences with "translators" in the past.

On the plus side, no one is going to bother you if you continue to work for substantially more remunerative rates, supply translations that add sufficient value to justify those rates, and let the bottom feeders get on with their business, which manifestly is not yours.

After all, it's the bottom feeders that provide those of us who are higher up the food chain with a benchmark on which to base our own, more ambitious, pricing.

FWIW

Giles

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
No danger for you Aug 31, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:
I would not join such a list because I'm certain that my chances of getting a job would be negligible against rates as low as 0.02 Euros/word.

Would you outsource to someone offering to work for $0.02 or even $0.06?

I would not take that risk, in no language pair, even in the third world.
And I don't think that most outsourcers have a stupid or devil-may-care attitude.

You can see a wide price range for similar products in any market, but this does not mean that only the cheapest products are bought - it rather implies the contrary.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Pretty slim, if you're not listed Sep 1, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:
I skimmed the English-Spanish pair list of translators. Their rates range from 0.02 - 0.24 Euros/source word.

Well, there's your answer. If you don't join the list, not even those knowledgeable clients who won't pay 0.02 will ever find you if they consult the list, right?

My advice is... join the list, and mention your real rate (if you have a general rate and if the list requires that you mention a rate). Then your chances of getting a job will be more.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pretty Good Sep 1, 2007

From what I can see, you have an excellent track record and demostrated competence. Your effort should probably be directed to getting more direct clients as opposed to working for agencies, many of which are less interesed in quality than in exploitation. Your direct clients and those agencies that are good will recognize the quality of your work and will be willing to pay for it.

It is never a bad idea to get on more lists and get your name out there, but you cannot expect that alone to provide you with the jobs you need. I would say go ahead, but don't expect miracles. I am sure some of those lists are being mined mostly by exploiters.

As to miserable rates being quoted, there is been ample discussion on this subject, the latest being Clarisa Moraña's contribution that you should read.

Buck
Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
You get what you pay for Sep 2, 2007

Barring an economic collapse, I would never accept EUR 0.02 p/w. Slave wages. On the up side, those clients will probably get their two cents' worth as far as the quality goes.

Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right! Sep 2, 2007

Buck wrote:

Barring an economic collapse, I would never accept EUR 0.02 p/w. Slave wages. On the up side, those clients will probably get their two cents' worth as far as the quality goes.

I couldn't have said it better.

Toralf Mjelde  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Love that attitude! Sep 3, 2007

I totally agree with your concerns! Those kind of rates are degrading to our occupation. As a principle I set a minimum rate, and NEVER got below that for anyone (unless its a large job and bulk rates would be appropriate).

Stay with your principles!

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:19
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Why not for 0.00 rate? Sep 12, 2007

I know one very good solution for the clients offering 0.02 USD/EUR (currency does not matter here already) as how to have the job done for even less - for 0.00 USD/EUR per word. I am REALLY SERIOUS.

They could do the translations by themselves instead of hiring a translator who is SO expensive. Well, some time should be spent them doing the translation, but look - they could compensate it by other means - will be no need to waste time going to the bank for the transfer, no need to hire an accountant, or even no waste on email replies to the translator who is already angry about the payment - there will be no payment. Saves a lot of time, energy and other resources. + The can improve their foreign and native language knowledges, learn how to use dictionaries, and so on. And, maybe, they will reach a certain level when they could become translators themselves and could earn huge amounts working for some 0.02 EUR themselves...

[Redaguota 2007-09-12 00:11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are my chances of getting a job?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs