Strange job offer - potential scam alert
Thread poster: Lynda Tharratt

Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:31
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2007

I was contacted by someone going by the name of Bobby Smith??!! in an email from my Proz page. A red flage immediately came up as this person didn't ask for my rates or tell me what type of translation this was, nor did he give a deadline. Also, for someone with a name like Bobby Smith, his English grammar and spelling were atrocious! He seemed more concerned as to whether or not I would accept a cheque! I told him that I would be happy to accept a PayPal transfer.
He wrote back that he was conducting the transaction for a company (didn't say which) and the company would send me a cheque.
Then, he wrote back and said that he was sorry he didn't give more information at first but that it was a business translation and due at the end of November. He then said I looked very beautiful in my picture and was I married??!!

This has Nigerian scam written all over it. I did a search on google and there was a reference to this already in the Proz forums but the page was in Finnish and wouldn't open.

I wondered if anyone else has been contacted by this person.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
Please submit a Support Request with *full* contact info Oct 1, 2007

I received one of those, too. In my case, the offer came from a ProZ.com profile. That profile has now been blocked so it can't send any more such mails, but it did manage to send several before the block was set.

Please provide ProZ.com Support with the profile number, in case this message, too, was sent from a profile. And, in any case, please provide them with the *expanded* headers from the e-mail. If you're not sure how to obtain expanded headers, here's a handy Web page where they explain how to do it:

http://pobox.com/fullheaders.mhtml

Yolanda Broad

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for replying, Yolanda Oct 1, 2007

Hi Yolanda,
This person was not logged in when the message was sent.
This was at the top of the message,

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: Mr Bobby Smith
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged
in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 213.42.2.24

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what you mean by "expanded header", my technological savvy doesn't reach that far!

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:31
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
e-mail preferences in profile Oct 1, 2007

Hi Lynda,

If you go to your profile, click on "settings" and then click on "e-mail preferences" in the list at the left, you can opt to only receive e-mails from proz.com members who are logged in. You might find this a useful option to set.

Best regards,

Astrid

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
This is something ProZ.com Technical Support has to deal with Oct 1, 2007

Hi again, folks,

The forums aren't the place to get this guy stopped. You need to ask the technical staff to take care of him.

But... I promise you that the explanation at the PO Box site explains things very nicely, so any one of us mere users can understand it! It's really not at all hard. Just look down the list for the kind of e-mail browser (software for receiving your e-mails) you use, and follow the instructions.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do your part as good citizens of the Internet to help the people with the technical knowledge put a damper on scammers: doing so helps make all of us safer!

Yolanda Broad

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the information Oct 1, 2007

I guess I was really just curious as to whether or not anyone else had received this. I wasn't really looking for technical support but I appreciate your help! I just thought it might be helpful to put the word out.

Lynda

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
cheque scam? Oct 1, 2007

Lynda Tharratt wrote:

The idea is he will probably tell you he will pay up front, send you a cheque, overpaying you..... (ooops) could you please lodge the difference back into his account, and then you discover the cheque bounces.

I think that's how the scam works.

Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:31
French to English
+ ...
Getting the word out... Oct 1, 2007

Definitely sounds like a scam and while the forums may not be the place to stop this scam artist, it is still helpful to remind people that there are scams out there.

I received one of those Nigerian scam emails just before I went in to talk to a French high school class and so I jokingly told them what an awesome day I was having, how I was going to come into millions of dollars... and as I explained the email I was shocked to learn that not one of those students had ever heard of Nigerian scams before.

It never hurts to share experiences with scams, because you never know- your experience might just save someone else the heartache of being taken in.

Let us know if you ever hear from Bobby Smith again!

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 03:31
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
my two cents Oct 2, 2007

Simply do not waste time for correspondence with such frauds. Simply ignore such emails and delete them as spam For the time wasted for such corresponsence. Better to watch TV or have a walk in the nature instead))

Neil Cross
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hello dear Oct 2, 2007

Lynda Tharratt wrote:

I guess I was really just curious as to whether or not anyone else had received this.

Yes, I received the same offer of "a work" from our friend Bobby. It began "Hello dear", which I thought was an admirably unconventional way of opening a business e-mail (I might start using it with some of my clients).

It's kinda depressing: not even scammers understand the value of using professional translators...

Neil

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lol Oct 2, 2007

Neil Cross wrote:

Lynda Tharratt wrote:

I guess I was really just curious as to whether or not anyone else had received this.

Yes, I received the same offer of "a work" from our friend Bobby. It began "Hello dear", which I thought was an admirably unconventional way of opening a business e-mail (I might start using it with some of my clients).

It's kinda depressing: not even scammers understand the value of using professional translators...

Neil

Mine also said "hello dear", forgot that part. Yes, I agree that there is big potential for translation and copywriting work in the scam market..hmm...if only there were a way to ensure payment...:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange job offer - potential scam alert

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs