Geoff Williams
Geoff Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2007

Dear Fellow ProZ members

[This is an edited version of a posting yesterday which was removed under the forum rules]
I want to report another scam of which I have recently fallen victim. The person in this instance used an address in Tallinn, Estonia and a gmail address which is of course now invalid.
Checking back through old messages I found similar ones giving the same (mobile) phone number (in Finland) and an address Finland, but using different names. The phone numb
... See more
Dear Fellow ProZ members

[This is an edited version of a posting yesterday which was removed under the forum rules]
I want to report another scam of which I have recently fallen victim. The person in this instance used an address in Tallinn, Estonia and a gmail address which is of course now invalid.
Checking back through old messages I found similar ones giving the same (mobile) phone number (in Finland) and an address Finland, but using different names. The phone number appears to be valid but is never answered. The address given in one of the messages is still valid apparently.

The style of the messages is very similar, polite and rather old-fashioned English, usually starting with:
"I have yet another translation job from ... " and they are clearly written by the same person. The files he sends are usually labelled generically as something like "German_Text.doc ".
Fortunately in the earlier cases I did not take on the work, but I did three jobs (yes 3) for this fake person and am trying to track him/her down to recover the money owed.
I have details of the end-customers of the jobs I did, and they were obviously real jobs, so I am following them up in order to try and alert them and of course to try and track down the shady character behind the name.

Another job offered by Mr X was a translation of a philosophy book for which I even sent him a test translation. I don't understand what the person might gain from this unless it was just to get some outside help for free. Anyway, if this rings any bells with any one else I would be pleased to hear from you. I will of course pass on any information to the ProZ adminstrators.
I trust others will be more on their guard now, as I am.

Geoff Williams [geoffw at talktalk.net]

[Edited at 2007-10-05 10:00]
Collapse

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:14
Member (2007)
English to Russian
friendly advice Oct 4, 2007

hide your email=) replace @ with smth else, spambots are always out there

Geoff Williams
Geoff Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks; Oct 4, 2007

I forgot about that!
thanks alot.
Geoff

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

hide your email=) replace @ with smth else, spambots are always out there

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam alert: quite sophisticated

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »