Mobile menu

Time difference and Translation: How to deal with it.
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 05:47
English to French
Oct 5, 2007

Greetings,

How to deal with time difference when translating and delivering work?

Thank you

[Edited at 2007-10-05 11:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Please specify Oct 5, 2007

Don't quite understand you, Alexandre. Is this a one-off offer that conflicts with your regular schedule or an ongoing pattern?

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Discuss with the client Oct 5, 2007

By time difference, are you referring to the client and the translator being in different time zones? This website can be used to determine a client's time zone. If the client mentions a specific time, you can probably assume that it is in their time zone, not yours, but it is best to specify a time zone when setting a delivery time to avoid misunderstandings.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Time difference and Translation: How to deal with it. Oct 5, 2007

Hello,

Yes I should clarify I guess...Sometimes I get translations offers during night at my local time when I am not available. When I answer the next morning, its already too late and that's how I miss many opportunities (most of them arrive in my mailbox at night my local time)
Si I guess some countries are at an advantge and some others are not , dependind on time.
I am just looking for experience from the translator community.
Unless setting automatic notifications that I received the job offer, I just can't make automatic acceptations without physically evalutating the proposal...
Common sense tells me that there's no workaround for this issue,(unless I can be everywhere at the same time ) but maybe any ideas?

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:47
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always worked for me Oct 5, 2007

I have agreed with these kind of clients (with a lot of time difference) that when I am not online I would leave an automatic message saying when I will see my email.
This has always worked for me and I never missed opportunities because of this issue.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Time difference: automatic notification and relaying... Oct 5, 2007

Ok.

so I guess I am not the only who has been thinking about automatic notification. Now I am wondering if it is ethical to relay the job offer to a colleague translator who is in the right time zone and who can perform the word while I am not available (late at night or very early morning...)
Tu put it clearly: I would like to sub contract the job offer to somebody I know. As long as I trust my colleague (in timing and quality) and that the result is the same, should I still inform the employer?
This way, I could set up a mail system that automatically transfers the job offer to my colleague. My colleague can then either accept it or refuse it. He can then answer directly to the customer.
I do all the jobs myself, but I found out that a lot of interesting offers happen while I not available.
I hope that this is an ethical practice and that it already used by translators....

Thank you.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
English to Spanish
Someone's got to give... Oct 5, 2007

Seven (7) years ago, when I first started in translations, I had the same problem.

I decided to wake up at four or five in the morning (sometimes at 2:00 a.m.!), and got some contacts with excellent European agencies and freelance translators that have even become my personal friends and best clients.

At present time, they arrange their schedule/job/turnaround time in order to be connected with me at my and their convenience. Sometimes, they email me at night and wait for my replying till the next day. (I don't get up in the middle of the night anymore.)

Someone's got to give, amigo. Be the first.

[Edited at 2007-10-05 12:59]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The client's time is king Oct 5, 2007

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
How to deal with time difference when translating and delivering work?

If the client says "8:00 sharp" then he means 8 o'clock his time, not 8 o'clock your time.

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
For What It's Worth Oct 5, 2007

Assuming you are located in France, it sounds like you have most of your customers in Europe, but also a potentially significant amount in the western hemisphere, maybe some in Asia.

I live in the western hemisphere, but almost all of my customers are in Europe, so I work European hours, meaning local time my hours are something like 2AM to 12 noon, and sometimes I work the afternoons as well.

Obviously we can't work 18-hour days at a sustained pace.

Anyway, I would suggest that you form an informal partnership with some colleagues in the other time zones - maybe even including such information on a website, or at least linking websites - and present the idea to the appropriate customers. If you are transparent, then that should take care of any ethical considerations.

I hope this helps.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
follow always your production time zone Oct 5, 2007

+ GMT time regulations. Else it will confuse you as it had confused me. Best regards, Brandis

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make the time difference work for you instead of against you Oct 6, 2007

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
Sometimes I get translations offers during night at my local time when I am not available. When I answer the next morning, its already too late and that's how I miss many opportunities (most of them arrive in my mailbox at night my local time)

The world is round! If you are behind some regions, then, from another perspective, you are ahead of them. You can cultivate clients in other parts of the world where your time zone gives you an advantage instead of a disadvantage. Being 4-8 hours ahead of the Americas, you can make that work for you. You can be up and translating for hours before a translator in the New World is even out of bed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time difference and Translation: How to deal with it.

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs