Thread poster: Grégoire Thygesen
sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
English to French
Nothing personnal Feb 20, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-16 13:36, gregg wrote:

Just as a clarification - i\'m not responsible for the company\'s budget nor the site\'s content. I don\'t know WHY no money can be allocated and I didn\'t ask. I was just told we couldn\'t afford to pay to translate our site right now so I was looking for other solutions within the possibilities that were given to me, that\'s all.

Maybe my no-no was even mentioning it... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-16 13:36, gregg wrote:

Just as a clarification - i\'m not responsible for the company\'s budget nor the site\'s content. I don\'t know WHY no money can be allocated and I didn\'t ask. I was just told we couldn\'t afford to pay to translate our site right now so I was looking for other solutions within the possibilities that were given to me, that\'s all.

Maybe my no-no was even mentioning it - if it was, I\'m sorry. I really didn\'t mean to offend anyone.

Don\'t take it personnal. I think we all understand that you are trying to get something done, which you think is important. But I am pretty sure you understand that it doesn\'t ring too good for pros to ask freebies on the basis that maybe in the future they will be called for paid job. It doesn\'t presume much of your agency\'s ability to pay too.

You are going about it the wrong way. Freebies are valid for charities. Not for commercial purposes. It\'s just not fair.

I don\'t think your Boss expects you to get the web site translated for free, does he?

The proper way would be to get your boss to release a budget for it. Failing that, either concentrate on something else, or

If your boss is not interested and that you really want to get it done, find other translation agencies whose web site is not already in French and offer them to translate some parts in French for them, in exchange for some parts of your web site in the languages you need.

In all cases, it should always work both ways. You give something for something. Asking work for free is called \"begging\", and I am sure you understand this is no way to conduct business.

I hope I don\'t sound too harsh, because I really do understand your situation and I don\'t want you to feel bad about it, but what you ask should not be asked, on Proz or elsewhere. ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

is this a no-no on proz.com?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »