Off topic: self-marketing tips
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia

Francesca Battaglia
Local time: 12:25
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Hi all, it's been a while but it seems that life sometimes can bring some very hard times..Now, I somewhat lost the contact with all the freelance activities and now I really need to get back to work in order to focus on something else..
So I'd like you to share your best ideas on "different" ideas to promote your translation services.

Direct link Reply with quote

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
Italian to English
a few... Oct 9, 2007

Bombard potential clients with your CV, follow up with calls, and get a web site going! I have been contacted a whole year after sending my CV by some companies, so be patient and keep bombarding them. Good luck!

Local time: 13:25
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
A few more... Oct 10, 2007

Polish up your profile, provide the keywords in all of your languages instead of only one, take advantage of hosting for members (I am trying to learn this one), polish your resume/CV, keep your spirits high and smile!

Best of luck.

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Powwow Oct 10, 2007

There is a Powwow being organised in early December at Milan.
It's a chance to meet up with other translators and exchange ideas face to face!
You might even meet me! (not sure if I can make it yet)

English to Italian
+ ...
Persist! Oct 10, 2007

Ciao Francesca,

ups and downs are part of everyone’s life so don't despair and don't give up, this lean period will be over.
Focus on your target customers and look for them everywhere, internet, meetings, vernissages, exhibitions, just do it as if you were doing your job. We cannot be omnipresent but try to be physically present whenever possible. Invest your time in PR.
Fix your profile and have a website tailored to your work with specific keywords, I've recently finished mine and I didn’t think it would be so effective.
Cheer up! there is still room for young professionals.

Maria Grazia

PS: our "powwow community" in Milan is very active, try to be there on Dec. 1st

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:25
Join a local engineering group? Oct 10, 2007

Hi Francesca,

I notice that engineering is a specialty of yours. Consider attending meetings of a local (civil) engineering society / association. You might be viewed as "the translator" of the group, which can mean end clients. Just an idea... it worked for me as a translator. In fact, it was my best source of high-paying clients.

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:25
Member (2007)
English to Russian
obvious, but... Oct 10, 2007

Try to improve your kudoz rating, it helps a lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

self-marketing tips

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs