Mobile menu

Too many tools/webs. etc (among agencies I work for) - I am supposed to log onto 10 of these
Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

Hi guys,
Lately every single agency I work for has developed some kind of web or tool for translators to assign projects quickly. At the begining I was amazed at how good they are.....but at the moment in the mornings I am supposed to log onto 10 of these and keep them open to get projects....only 2 of them really send me real work....and the others only from time to time... they don't rely on sending translators an email, at least not all of them, but on translators being logged on.
Has anyone experienced the same? I am a bit tired of it.... might have its positive side but it also has lots of downsides......looking forward to your feedback....regards.
Jesús.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-18 16:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same here... Oct 18, 2007

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:
Lately every single agency I work for has developed some kind of web or tool for translators to assign projects quickly.

Two minutes ago I received an e-mail from one of my agencies that they too have now switched over to Idiom. Well, at least I'm familiar with Idiom, so the "switch" from their internal automated system should be relatively easy.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I've given up on those Oct 18, 2007

Actually I've given up on those "agencies" that require me to monitor incoming projects all the time.

One agency uses a tool that can only be accessed with Internet Explorer - it DOES NOT work with any other browser, and that really... annoys me.

Sonja

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No chance Oct 18, 2007

Hi all,

I have nothing against web-based plattforms, actually I prefer them to jobs offered per email, *provided* I don't have to be logged on (all the time??) and keep watching out. How could I have work done, if I were supposed to keep on looking for newly entered jobs?!

Fortunately, the outsourcers I work for use different plattforms, i.e. I am notified each time a job is available and don't need to keep watching (wouldn't do it either!).

My 2 cents,

Giuliana

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:21
English to French
+ ...
Offer and demand Oct 19, 2007

Your question touches upon a basic universal rule: offer and demand.

It is very important that a businessperson such as you and I remember this at all times. In my mind, I make an offer, and there is a demand for it. My offer simply expresses what I am willing to do and what I am not willing to do - unless I am paid extra for it. Part of what I am not willing to do is investing time into learning software and using tools that the client prefers to mine. I have invested my own time, without being paid, and often for a fee, to learn to use my tools and to learn to do my job. This is what I offer. If a client wants more than this, they will have to pay for it.

I am always open to using tools other than my own - but I am not willing to pay for them and invest my free time to learn to use them. Many of these tools eat away at RAM and make it much harder to use a computer. These tools often confuse us more than anything else (when you have 14 windows open on your desktop, good luck for not making errors), which will only slow us down. This is counter-productive. I have a dollar amount on each hour I work - if I am less productive, this dollar amount decreases, and at that point, there's no point to it anymore.

As for tools you need to stay logged onto in order to get work, if I gave in to this tendency, I would be that much farther from being a translator - and that much closer to being a slave.

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 19, 2007

Thanks Viktoria and to all..... I agree with you Viktoria...my problem is that agencies I had a good relationship with are introducing this leaves me with no choice more or less....thanks for your input.
Regards.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My approach is different Oct 19, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I am always open to using tools other than my own - but I am not willing to pay for them and invest my free time to learn to use them.

I'm always willing to spend some time learning a new tool, as long as the tool is free. It increases my offering. Even if I hate to use the tools, having experience in using them might be useful in future.

As for tools you need to stay logged onto in order to get work, if I gave in to this tendency, I would be that much farther from being a translator...

I have one client who had made some noises in this direction... namely that a job might be assigned to a pool of translators and whoever gets there first and "accepts" the job, gets the job. Well, I don't have a problem with that -- if there is a place on the internet where jobs can be picked up first-come-first-served, then... why not? Just don't expect me to check every couple of minutes.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No notification sent by email? I wouldn't bother then... Oct 19, 2007

I didn't know that not all web-based systems send notifications to let you know that you're offered a project.
I do work in such environments (including the agency Samuel mentioned), but I am notified each time there is something of interest. I would certainly not log on to them and wait for projects to come my way!
Maybe you should state this issue to the agencies you're comfortable with (and drop the others). I am sure a notification feature shouldn't be too difficult to implement for experts. Unless, as Samuel says, the feature is lacking for a purpose and the agency relies on a first-logged-on-first-come-first-served basis to assign projects.

A bit off-topic about learning new tools, I worked with tools that I wasn't comfortable with and which I felt were inefficient. I don't mind broadening my practical skills, but I don't like working for peanuts, so I turn down jobs that require using a tool I know I am not efficient with (meaning that when I expect to earn around 40 euros an hour for a given project, I should reach such target; if not, it means the tool/admin/environment is not profitable for me). And I tell the agency that I don't want such projects, and why.

Bon week-end,
Philippe

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Notification by e-mail Oct 19, 2007

I only work for one or two agencies that have a system where you have to accept/reject a job in their workflow environment, but they always send me an e-mail with the PO for the job, and check if I am available or not.

I would certainly not be inclined to log on to systems and wait for jobs to turn up - other than by e-mail.

I'd like to think they require my skills in specific fields and select me, rather than just any translator.

As to proprietary tools - I also think that the tool has to work for me. If it takes too long to enter a translation or if it is completely inflexible, or impossible to search for concordance, it obviously does not work for me.

Having said that, I used to absolutely hate tag editor but it has grown on me I suppose.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Never heard of such a system Oct 19, 2007

Fortunately, none of the agencies I work with do anything like this - they use good old-fashioned email. And long may it last!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too many tools/webs. etc (among agencies I work for) - I am supposed to log onto 10 of these

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs