Mobile menu

Off topic: Proposals: Another Sc(p)am???
Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 22, 2007

Well, this is an e-mail I received this morning and I find it really strange. First and foremost, I'm a freelancer and not an agency. I have no intention of becoming an agency. And I guess, most of the people around know this.

Still, I received this e-mail at all my ids.

I'm surprised... this person says that he/she is a freelancer. But I don't think that is the case. And given the price that he/she is asking I wonder what he/she pays to his/her service providers.

I've just copy-pasted the entire e-mail with xx in place of amounts and names etc., in accordance with proz rules.

And if the person who sent this e-mail is reading I'd just like to say that please do not ever send these e-mails to me. There may be other colleagues who also act as agencies. I don't. I only take as much work as I can handle. I love my work and I don't like being spammed.

And sending the same e-mail to all my e-mail ids does not really imply that it has more chance of being read.

Sorry everyone. But I really am fed up with people who think that I am an agency (yes, this is not the first time that something like this has happened) and that they can send me everything, including CVs and photographs etc. And Arabic is not even one of the languages I know!!!

I am a freelancer offering the following services:

English>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
French>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
German>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
Dutch>ARABIC my rate xx$ per page (250 words)
Italian>ARABIC my rate xx$ per page (250 words)
Spanish>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
Turkish>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
Japanese>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)
Chinese>ARABIC my rate xx $ per page (250 words)

2-Dtp (Desktop publishing), my rate per page is 7 $(usd).
We work with these programs:
· Adobe InDesign 2.0,ME
· Adobe Illustrator 11,ME
· Adobe Acrobat 5.0,6.0,7.0
· Adobe PageMaker 7.0
· QuarkXpress 5.0
· Adobe FrameMaker 7.0
· PhotoShop
· Microsoft Word 2000,xp
· CorelDraw
3-QA (Quality Assurance), my rate per page is 5 $(usd).
4-Writing/Editing, my rate per page is 5 $(usd).
5-Proofreading, my rate per page is 5 $(usd)
6-PowerPoint Presentation.
7-Internet Research.
8-Data Entry.
9-Word Processing.
10-Graphic design.
11-Web developer
12-Web design.

We give discounts to large-scale projects, and our rates depend upon:
* Project difficulty.
* Software employed (both application and version).
* Project length.

We can:
1- Deliver projects on time.
2- Produce high-quality, bug-free work.
3- Work under stress.

I`m on-line:

Skype xxxx
Yahoo! Messenger
MSN Messenger

Hope that you will find this information useful. Nevertheless, if you would like to know more, do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to answer you.
We look forward to hearing from you and to the opportunity to work together with you in the future.

i will wait your reply,

With my best regards.

xxx, Skype xxxx
Yahoo! Messenger
MSN Messenger

[Edited at 2007-10-22 19:02]

Direct link Reply with quote
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
French to English
+ ...
Don't think much of his QA Oct 22, 2007

if he can manage to spell translation incorrectly

Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
wow! 9 languages no less! ;) Oct 22, 2007

I do receive some of these mails from time to time and do not pay them any attention, since I'm also a freelancer myself.

For a person who can translate from 9 languages, you would expect he/she should be more discerning as to the recipients of his/her advertising.

Simply forget about it, Ritu!

Local time: 08:37
English to Urdu
+ ...
Please cool down Oct 22, 2007

There is nothing to get so much annoyed, Ritu. This appears to be just a usual marketing effort from a person / agency who didn't care to have a look on your profile and language pair before sending the mail.

You can ignore / delete it like all other spam mails you receive. It is as simple as that.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This guy has accrued plenty of mileage in my spam-catcher now Oct 22, 2007

As you forgot to erase his Skype ID, I know his name for a while. He used to send a daily or weekly message to all my e-mail addresses. In the beginning, I could 'hear' his accent from written text!

He bombards every e-mail he finds that has anything to do with translation, being the primus inter pares among many others from further away on the globe.

Some people think that by frequently bombarding translators with spam they'll eventually get some gig, even if it's just to stop them from spamming for a while.

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Lets give him a chance Oct 22, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Some people think that by frequently bombarding translators with spam they'll eventually get some gig, even if it's just to stop them from spamming for a while.

We could collect some money in order to give this poor fellow a decent chance.
Not a tarnslation. Proof-reading his own text. That will teach him a lesson and will improve his "marketing efforts" a bit.
But remember: we can only do this once. *
Cool and calm regards
*otherwise it runs out of rudder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposals: Another Sc(p)am???

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs