Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 6, 2007

Certification, Picture ID, a background Check, a Physical, and Social Security Card???

Why?

Soizic

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe... Nov 6, 2007

they want you to translate for the Secret Service?

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 12:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Forget it Nov 6, 2007

In what form? Copies of what you have or might have already? Send them straight to hell.

If this is a new government project truly requiring things like that, which would be quite common for a real thing, the request will come in a shape and form that will eliminate all your doubts. It certainly does not come in a form of a simple agency email...

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
After your ID? Nov 6, 2007

If I were you I'd be very careful.

We hear so much about identity theft these days, although I'm sure your potential client wouldn't dream of such a thing.

Good luck
Paul

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Were they kidding? Nov 6, 2007

Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

Certification, Picture ID, a background Check, a Physical, and Social Security Card???

Why?

Soizic

Why on Earth would they need you to get a a Physical? And a background check? They're not going to hire you as an employee, that's just crazy.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:22
French to Spanish
+ ...
Didn't Nov 6, 2007

they ask for your credit card NIP? Strange.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:22
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Before you click "delete": Nov 6, 2007

- Report to the Police.

I am not kidding. I called the cops before. They want to know. They will be there within 10 minutes, send the right person who will sit with you in front of your computer, together you will forward information to their IT-Department and the cops will call you every day with information. Which, in my case, actually turned into the identification of the author of a well-known worm. Do something!

Not even a bank-teller is allowed to ask for your SS
... See more
- Report to the Police.

I am not kidding. I called the cops before. They want to know. They will be there within 10 minutes, send the right person who will sit with you in front of your computer, together you will forward information to their IT-Department and the cops will call you every day with information. Which, in my case, actually turned into the identification of the author of a well-known worm. Do something!

Not even a bank-teller is allowed to ask for your SSN.

This is a felony.

Especially the fact that they are asking for a physical makes it sound like the latest thrill for "Nigerian" (sorry, it has become a synonym) teens.

How to stop this crap? Do something!!
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:22
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lucky you Nov 6, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

- Report to the Police.

They want to know. They will be there within 10 minutes

Sometime I wish I still lived in the US, in the UK (or Sweden) the response time is more likely to be 10 days/weeks (or even months).

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
SSN Nov 6, 2007

Not even a bank-teller is allowed to ask for your SSN.

Excuse me? They always ask me for it if I cannot supply my account number, and in any case they have it right on their computer; that is how they refer to the accounts.

However, I do not see any reason for any "agency" to be supplied such information.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:22
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi Henry Nov 6, 2007

Yep. A bank teller is not allowed to do so. You give your SSN once when you open your account. That's it. Please read the fine print in the privacy statement.

In regard to so-called "inquiries": This phisher-mafia will thrive as long as we accept this. Maybe it's because I have written approx. 100k training material regarding data security during the last year - I can't believe how relatively clueless I've been before.

[Edited at 2007-11-06 23:37]

[Edited at 2007-11-0
... See more
Yep. A bank teller is not allowed to do so. You give your SSN once when you open your account. That's it. Please read the fine print in the privacy statement.

In regard to so-called "inquiries": This phisher-mafia will thrive as long as we accept this. Maybe it's because I have written approx. 100k training material regarding data security during the last year - I can't believe how relatively clueless I've been before.

[Edited at 2007-11-06 23:37]

[Edited at 2007-11-06 23:39]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Who wants to know? Nov 7, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:
Why on Earth would they need you to get a a Physical?

When they want you to interpret for DoD at the airforce base in some uncharted land, or in tents in Texas desert:-), or live at not so comfy launch site for a month with no Stanford Medical Center around, or fly you to the offshore drilling rig or an atomic ice-breaker:-). When they need translators on sites like that, and the list can be extended, the same is applicable.

Not like the requirements themselves are impossible but the appropriate process is so clear and justified that there is no need to ask any questions. And even then, NO copies are required, just numbers, including passport No.

In any other case, especially for "potential" jobs, never do that. Your SSN # inevitably comes with the 1st invoice within the USA. To this day I have no idea why would they need it in Europe - they do not report to IRS and have no means of verifying anything. Oh well, maybe the bureaucrats sleep tighter after just seeing it... To request the copy of your passport is ILLEGAL for anyone but HR or government authorities.

Again, unless you know the agency for ages and/or have some material evidence that they have a project at hand truly requiring all that stuff, steer clear from any such requests.

The top question always is - who wants to know!

[Edited at 2007-11-07 00:31]

[Edited at 2007-11-07 06:44]

Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well! Nov 7, 2007

Usually when I call my bank, they ask for the four last digits and my pin # for verification purposes before they tell me anything else. I did not know it was a felony to ask. So I am learning something here.

No Juan, they did not ask for my credit card NIP.

Irene, I was supposed to sent the copies of the documentation in an attached email. The reason being that I cannot attend to their meeting happening in another state but they still want to hire me as a regular tr
... See more
Usually when I call my bank, they ask for the four last digits and my pin # for verification purposes before they tell me anything else. I did not know it was a felony to ask. So I am learning something here.

No Juan, they did not ask for my credit card NIP.

Irene, I was supposed to sent the copies of the documentation in an attached email. The reason being that I cannot attend to their meeting happening in another state but they still want to hire me as a regular translator (but not in house; in fact my position would not be any different than what I have right now : freelance in my house:).

What raised my eyebrows was the Physical and the background check request. The rest being weird as well!

Thank you all for your support

[Modifié le 2007-11-07 06:40]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Not that one Nov 7, 2007

Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

Usually when I call my bank, they ask for the four last digits and my pin # for verification purposes before they tell me anything else. I did not know it was a felony to ask...

> No, this one is not a felony. You are a bank customer at will and you've signed the agreement containing their security policies (I'm sure you have never read it through, I doubt anyone ever have). They have your permission:-).

What raised my eyebrows was the Physical and the background check request. The rest being weird as well!

Thank you all for your support

[Modifié le 2007-11-07 06:40]

That "client" of yours might be trying to make it look more solid and lure some unexperienced newbies to steal the information but in general this is ridiculous - those of us who went through things like that in real life will never fall into such trap. Beware! For one, all this starts when your name is already on the official final list of candidates tentatively approved by the client pending final check results. Normally the agencies handling projects of the sort ensure sufficient redundancy in human resources. If one falls ill, there might be no time to bring in and process a "non-processed" person from scratch. Yet again, there can be no such processing "just in case we get the project".

Other than that... interpreter's life is no bed of roses:-D, especially in certain fields. Repeated background checks come with the territory of 2 of my end clients. We have to go through physical every year to continue working real-time operations at Mission Control Center, and it is done at client's expense and at the clinic on site. For example, there are requirements for good hearing, and maybe they want to make sure that we are not in the habit of fainting for no apparent cause in the middle of interpreting at 3 in the morning:-) Also, blood tests may be required to know if you can take any mandatory (if the company policy says so) shots for all kinds of weird diseases. No sweat here, you can always turn down such travel assignments.

Cheers,
Irene

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
easy target... Nov 7, 2007

[quote]Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

>Usually when I call my bank, they ask for the four last
> digits and my pin # for verification purposes

... just saw a documentary on TV where a woman's purse was stolen, and a "friendly" businessman offered to lend her his mobile so she could cancel her credit card. The call was automatically transferred to a guy in a van with prerecorded office sounds and a "talking computer" who asked for for her pin #....

Complete identity theft in 60 seconds! + no more money in the bank!

Ed

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Beware, but ask. Nov 7, 2007

"The reason being that I cannot attend to their meeting happening in another state..."

Is this meeting for new employees? Tell them that you understand why they would need all of that on orientation or hiring day for their newly hired in-house employees and wonder why they require it from you. Maybe that is the documentation they ask from their regular in-house employees (all legitimate and customary), and did not know better to adjust the requirements, or the notice, to your parti
... See more
"The reason being that I cannot attend to their meeting happening in another state..."

Is this meeting for new employees? Tell them that you understand why they would need all of that on orientation or hiring day for their newly hired in-house employees and wonder why they require it from you. Maybe that is the documentation they ask from their regular in-house employees (all legitimate and customary), and did not know better to adjust the requirements, or the notice, to your particular situation.

I'd say beware, and ask.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asking for the following:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »