Should I wait until I have a CAT TOOLS or...?
Thread poster: widati utami
widati utami
widati utami  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:39
Japanese to Indonesian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2007

Dear Colleages,

As I read in many postings and articles regarding translation business, many agencies prefer to hire translator who has CAT tools (read: TRADOS). Now, I try to expand my bussiness by sending resume to many agencies. But, the problem is I don't have any CAT tools. My question is: should I wait until I got one (right now I'm in the waiting list of TGB TRADOS) or just keep moving?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:39
German to English
Why wait? Nov 7, 2007

There are plenty of powerful free CAT solutions that you can get started with. Try shareware like wordfast (the demo version is fully functional for small and medium sized jobs) or freeware like OmegaT or Heartsome. Any of this will get you up and moving, and familiar with the use of CAT tools. The jump to TRADOS will then be much smaller, if you decide to make it at all.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 21:39
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not a prerequisite Nov 7, 2007

I don't have CAT tools, but do have plenty of work.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Try a few Nov 7, 2007

Steven Sidore wrote:

or freeware like OmegaT or Heartsome.

Heartsome is a shareware too

But I agree - if you have spare time, don't wait. Test trials, test freeware, see which you like most, which you dislike, and then decide if you want to invest into a CAT, or how much you would invest.

Anni

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
English to Italian
Wordfast Nov 7, 2007

Wordfast is free to use, as others have stated. You can start using it just to do some practice. And when you are ready to get Trados, definitely use the group buy through Proz, as it's more convenient.

[Edited at 2007-11-07 20:35]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try their evaluation versions Nov 7, 2007

Some time ago, Trados offered a one month trial version. I am not sure whether this is still available. Anyway, other trial versions are, such as Deja Vu X or MemoQ (even a 2 months trial period AFAIK). One month should be enough to learn how to use it and even to do a couple of projects. The data you acquire, will definitely not be lost, no matter which product you later decide to buy.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-11-08 08:36]

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:39
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Don't Wait Nov 8, 2007

Indeed, in my experience, Trados is the tool that is mostly-demanded by agencies that require CAT Tools for their projects. However, only several agencies that require Trados so far. Most agencies do not require any CAT Tools because I rarely deal with texts that have repetitive words.
Since I went international at the end of 2005, I immediately began to send out my CVs to translation agencies. Then, I had no CAT Tools but translation orders started to come in. Now, I have the free trial
... See more
Indeed, in my experience, Trados is the tool that is mostly-demanded by agencies that require CAT Tools for their projects. However, only several agencies that require Trados so far. Most agencies do not require any CAT Tools because I rarely deal with texts that have repetitive words.
Since I went international at the end of 2005, I immediately began to send out my CVs to translation agencies. Then, I had no CAT Tools but translation orders started to come in. Now, I have the free trial version of Wordfast but have had no time to learn and practise it yet. Still, translation orders keep coming in.

Teruskan perjuangan

Hipyan

[Edited at 2007-11-08 04:30]
Collapse

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Parallel... Nov 8, 2007

widati wrote:
My question is: should I wait until I got one (right now I'm in the waiting list of TGB TRADOS) or just keep moving?

The approach I think that best fit your need is to plan your investments (save up wisely), and at the same time keep sending CV, with note, "planning to invest in Trados, soon".

Keep in mind also the latest version and time of purchase of CAT Tools since upgrades are constant to softwares.

Happy planning and sending...

widati utami
Indonesia
Japanese to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Nov 8, 2007

Thanks so much for your advise. I think I have made up my mind. I'll try trial version of Wordfast which seems novice-user (just like my self) friendly and keep sending my resume.
Again, thanks so much for the advise.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, but you can always send updates Nov 8, 2007

widati wrote:
My question is: should I wait until I got one (right now I'm in the waiting list of TGB TRADOS) or just keep moving?

Don't wait. Tell them what you have, and sell yourself aggressively. Not all agencies require CAT tools. You can always send an update to all your contacts later to tell them when you've bought a CAT tool.

widati utami
Indonesia
Japanese to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm doing that Nov 8, 2007

Samuel,

Thanks so much. That's what I'm doing right now;-)
Finger crossed;-)

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Buy M.T. Nov 11, 2007

Within a few years, CAT will be out and M.T. in by the courtesey of google.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't wait but buy soon Nov 22, 2007

The problem is that MOST agencies require CAT Tools and MOST agencies require Trados. The initial investment is rather painful but it pays soon, believe me. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I wait until I have a CAT TOOLS or...?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »