https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/88778-rude_agency_or_is_it_normal.html

Rude agency, or is it normal?
Thread poster: Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:22
French to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 8, 2007

Just saw a job offer.
Terms are:

-You must do this.
-You must have that.
-It's English to French... oops... maybe German to French, dunno.
-We won't tell you anything about the job [field, number of words, deadline, etc. You'll find out soon enough].
-Payment: unknown. [90 days after invoice, I presume.]
-Send us your best offer [the lowest, I presume] and we'll see.

And, in upper case: If you don't match these criteria, we won't eve
... See more
Just saw a job offer.
Terms are:

-You must do this.
-You must have that.
-It's English to French... oops... maybe German to French, dunno.
-We won't tell you anything about the job [field, number of words, deadline, etc. You'll find out soon enough].
-Payment: unknown. [90 days after invoice, I presume.]
-Send us your best offer [the lowest, I presume] and we'll see.

And, in upper case: If you don't match these criteria, we won't even read your bid!!!!!

I'll certainly never answer, even if I meet criteria. I never deal with agencies, though, but I feel this "offer" is quite rude.

I don't think this is the appropriate way to get people working.

Has translation "business" lost all his human sense, sensibility and kindness, if ever so?

I often need translators, good ones. I know them, pay them well within 15 days even if I don't get paid by the client, because my business depends partly on them.
I would never dare to launch an offer in these terms if I need more of them.

Providers are even more important than clients, should I say, in my case.
I don't understand why agencies don't get a simple fact: it's in their own interest to have good and well paid translators. If not... we all know the damages: endless proofreadings, lost deadlines, angry clients, and more.

I'm I crazy or what?

[And please excuse my poor English writing].

Regards.

Juan.

[Editado a las 2007-11-08 03:20]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:22
English to German
+ ...
Just ignore them... Nov 8, 2007

Hi Juan,

And, in upper case: If you don't match these criteria, we won't even read your bid!!!!!

Great... I won't read your job offer, then.

I don't think this is the appropriate way to get people working.

Has translation "business" lost all his human sense, sensibility and kindness, if ever so?

I don't think this is about human sense, sensibility or kindness, but about basic manners and professional conduct. A gross lack thereof, to be precise.

Best regards,
Ralf

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, you're not crazy at all Juan ... Nov 8, 2007

Their attitude speaks volumes.

In a way, I'm actually grateful when they show their true colours, whether on job sites or in direct contact - it saves me a lot of trouble down the line because I simply don't deal with them.

Oh, and BTW, your English is perfectly understandable, don't worry.

Keep well
Debs

[Edited at 2007-11-08 09:11]

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2007)
English to French
Not just the 'translation' business Nov 8, 2007

[quote]Juan Jacob wrote:

IMO it's not just the translation business, it's business as a whole. And it is not a new trend.
There are always people who think that because they are managing a business, they have the upper hand on all their suppliers (and customers). On the other end, there are people who think that good business is for the benefit of all the stakeholders (to use a fashionable word)...
I have met many of both sides in my life. I know which side I am on and I know who lasts longer in any business. The others...well, I let them play at scaring each other off...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not rude, possibly not a translation agency but just greedy amateurs Nov 11, 2007

It seems that these people are small-time middlemen who found someone who will need 'translations'.

By finding a translator do do the work, they hope to get a slice of the proceedings. If they know someone who needs sausages, they'll look for someone who can provide them and work the same way.

These are the people who burden costs, but add absolutely no value to any service or merchandise.

In the good professional translation agencies I work for, I see that
... See more
It seems that these people are small-time middlemen who found someone who will need 'translations'.

By finding a translator do do the work, they hope to get a slice of the proceedings. If they know someone who needs sausages, they'll look for someone who can provide them and work the same way.

These are the people who burden costs, but add absolutely no value to any service or merchandise.

In the good professional translation agencies I work for, I see that PMs work hard to get the end-clients' needs fulfilled. This doesn't seem to be the case here.
Collapse

mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:22
Spanish
+ ...
I've wondered too.. Nov 12, 2007

Hi Juan,

I understand what you mean. I've also asked the same question to myself and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

It has happened to me a few times, see a job on Proz.com, apply, get an e-mail "what are your rates for translation/proofreading"(sic), no "Hi Mariana," no "Dear unknown", no nothing, just plain single-lined text, no question mark even... It has made me feel foolish answering these things (I don't know what to call them) by writing "Dear xx, than
... See more
Hi Juan,

I understand what you mean. I've also asked the same question to myself and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

It has happened to me a few times, see a job on Proz.com, apply, get an e-mail "what are your rates for translation/proofreading"(sic), no "Hi Mariana," no "Dear unknown", no nothing, just plain single-lined text, no question mark even... It has made me feel foolish answering these things (I don't know what to call them) by writing "Dear xx, thank you for your e-mail below, etc. etc.

As you say, and I agree, not answering is probably best, and fortunately, they are not all like that. In my own experience at least, there are more of the other kind.

Saludos.

Mariana
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:22
English to Thai
+ ...
Relative status of translators Nov 30, 2007

I met with some rude agencies.
I told them that translators are human, not a machine. It is better to treat translators politely.
In my idea, if translators do not try to regain their relatively strong status, they will be continuously be treated badly in payment terms, job rate, contact, word using, communication.
Regards,
Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rude agency, or is it normal?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »