VAT number for a U.S. freelancer
Thread poster: Alyona Douglas

Alyona Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Nov 9, 2007

I've been contacted by a Polish company that asks me if I have a VAT number and pay VAT in the United States.

I use SSN to pay my income tax. Do I need to register for VAT in the U.S. and pay it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:44
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
No, it doesn't apply to you. Nov 11, 2007

We don't have VAT here in the US, so if you're working here you have no need for a VAT number.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
with Laura Nov 11, 2007

The closet approximation in your case would be a sales tax exemption, but it's totally irrelevant here. I would suggest that you politely tell the client that the US does not have a VAT system and suggest that they check with their accountant or tax consultant about VAT regulations for doing business with suppliers outside the EU.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 15:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT number for a U.S. freelancer

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs