600 Euro project, I am not sure I should accept it
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 09:00
English to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2007

An agency contacted me yesterday for a project that will probably amount to 600 Euros...

They have no webpage, no blueboard record, the email-address was from sweden, the address line showed Japanese characters when I downloaded the file, and the lady tells me she is located in Spain.

It all seems a bit vague and strange, should I listen to my stomache feeling...?

On the other hand, I am not so busy these days... When I asked what their payment routine was (this was one of several questions I asked in my second email), I got no answer to this question...

I think it would be a nice project, but I would hate to work for free...

Should I ask for a down payment?

Martin

Direct link Reply with quote

Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 16:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
about Japanese characters Nov 26, 2007

Hello Martin,

If it does not fringe on an agreement and you could paste what the Japanese characters say, I would probably advise what it means....

As to job authenticity, it may be better to step away unless you can verify their identity and pratice at BlueBoard or any other major sources anyway.

Regards,
Minoru Kuwahara
English/French-Japanese translator
mkuwatr@ybb.ne.jp

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:00
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ask them for their phone number. Nov 26, 2007

That might help in establishing whether they exist as a serious entity (see who answers the phone and how), as well as giving you another way to contact them if there is a problem.
I understand your dilemma, as November was very slow for me, and 600 euros come in very handy at any time...

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
English to Russian
+ ...
a proof of the pie Nov 26, 2007

is in the eating...

They can become your best customers. You never know before you try.

I saw some of your postings where you were unhappy with lousy paying projects.
Now you have doubts about a project paying decently.....

Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Accept, but ask for PO Nov 26, 2007

Ask for a PO with their address, VAT and phone number. As simple as that. Then check if the address exists, the VAT number is valid, etc.

Narcis

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sounds suspicious Nov 26, 2007

Does not sound good, especially as they seem to ignore your (important!) questions. Maybe you should let them know YOUR terms and conditions and ask if they accept them. If they want you to do the job, they must agree to your terms.

If the project was worth less than 100 euros, I might give it a go, but 600 euros is a lot of money to lose.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Similar story Nov 26, 2007

Somebody contacted me recently for work - the pay was nice. But after four different e-mails to them asking for basic contact info, like the name of the person or organization commissioning the job, address and phone number, they kept replying how nice they thought Canada is, how they are sure I am the right person for the project, etc. I did a small test for them, and they "generously" offered to pay for it and asked for my SWIFT code and bank info. I said I would send them that information, but I first needed the contact details, explaining politely that I can only take an order if I get a PO since I am managing a business here. They haven't replied ever since. Wonder why...

Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice people... Nov 26, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

ey kept replying how nice they thought Canada is, how they are sure I am the right person for the project, etc. I did a small test for them, and they "generously" offered to pay for it and asked for my SWIFT code and bank info.[/quote]

If only all clients were as polite as scammers are...;)

Narcis

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
just switch on "fool's regime" and split the project into parts Nov 27, 2007

I'd suggest splitting the project into parts and receiving payment via, say, PayPal or moneybookers (it seems they are private persons, not corporate clients). Just decide for yourself what amount of money you could allow yourself to risk and then do piece-by-piece. Say, split those 600 EUR into 3 parts. Get a prepayment of 100 EUR, do 1/3 of the project and then send them. Then get a prepayment of the other 100 EUR, do the 2nd part and send it to them (you can split into even smaller parts, like 6 parts for 100 EUR). And so on. Moreover, if you use PayPal or moneybookers, you won't need to disclose any info about your bank details, SWIFTS and whatever.

But first agree with them like that, get their PO, check their phone number (if it exists), and have as much info as possible. If they are really serious and really need your services, they will make a prepayment for you without a problem. If they are simply scams, they will not reply to you any more, or will start speaking about some irrelevant things, how can they trust you if you take some cash in advance, will start speaking about some collosal projects and your possibilities as the luckiest person in the world Nr.1 because they found you and because they are interested in your services, and so on...

[Edited at 2007-11-27 00:21]

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
600 Euros? Nov 27, 2007

Hang on! That's barely 3000 words. Half a day's work!

Whatever makes you call that a 'project'? It's a 'small job', nothing more. It's certainly not worth bothering with if there's the slightest risk you'll not get paid.

Forget it - and go find some real work...

MediaMatrix

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't believe you, guys! Nov 27, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

They have no webpage, no blueboard record, the email-address was from sweden, the address line showed Japanese characters... the lady tells me she is located in Spain.

When I asked what their payment routine was I got no answer to this question...

I think it would be a nice project

Did you hear the sound of a human body hitting the floor? That was mine...

Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
English to French
+ ...
I agree 100% with this Nov 27, 2007

MariusV wrote:

I'd suggest splitting the project into parts and receiving payment via, say, PayPal or moneybookers (it seems they are private persons, not corporate clients). Just decide for yourself what amount of money you could allow yourself to risk and then do piece-by-piece. Say, split those 600 EUR into 3 parts. Get a prepayment of 100 EUR, do 1/3 of the project and then send them. Then get a prepayment of the other 100 EUR, do the 2nd part and send it to them (you can split into even smaller parts, like 6 parts for 100 EUR). And so on. Moreover, if you use PayPal or moneybookers, you won't need to disclose any info about your bank details, SWIFTS and whatever.

But first agree with them like that, get their PO, check their phone number (if it exists), and have as much info as possible. If they are really serious and really need your services, they will make a prepayment for you without a problem. If they are simply scams, they will not reply to you any more, or will start speaking about some irrelevant things, how can they trust you if you take some cash in advance, will start speaking about some collosal projects and your possibilities as the luckiest person in the world Nr.1 because they found you and because they are interested in your services, and so on...

[Edited at 2007-11-27 00:21]

I did just that last summer for a book, for a brand new client. I now regularly work for this client. She always pays me within 15 days, and in Euros!
But had I experienced any payment problem, I'd have lost only a fraction of what the whole project cost.
A method I absolutely recommend. Say you'll send the second part when you've received the first payment. No one can afford to lose 600 euros. They'll understand if they're serious.

Good luck!

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
Payment up front Nov 27, 2007

You can hedge your bets by asking for payment up front. Some people go for 1/3 at begin, 1/3 on delivery of the first half and the rest on completion. You could go for 50-50 if that made you feel better. If an agency cannot dispel your concerns - do not work for them.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
OT but... wow! Nov 27, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

Hang on! That's barely 3000 words.

0,20 EUR a word. That's what I call a decent rate!

Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
other payment lists? the Internet? Nov 27, 2007

Have you checked if they are rated anywhere or if there is any information at all about them on the Internet?

If I couldn't find anything (anything positive, that is), I wouldn't do it unless they agreed to some payment scheme as the ones mentioned... And I would be extremely cautious about it.

Best of luck!

Rosa

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

600 Euro project, I am not sure I should accept it

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs