Thread poster: Jenya Meltser-Rakevich
Where to get an equivalent of a foreign diploma in the US
Jenya Meltser-Rakevich
Local time: 07:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2007

Dear translators,

I have a question, which I hope I will be able to phrase well.

I need to find out where one can receive an equivalent of a diploma in the US. That is to say that the diploma is from a university in Russia and it corresponds to a Masters degree in the US, it has been translated and legalized. But because it is a degree in music it does not say Bachelors or Masters, it only says the number of years that one has studied to receive this diploma.

Does anyone know where one can turn to in order to get an equivalent for the diploma in the US.

I hope this is clear,

Thank you very much.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-03 17:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

For what use do you need an equivalency? Dec 3, 2007

This is a tricky issue. Normally, outside of various multinational academic consortia (in particular, the European one - European Convention on the Equivalence of Diplomas Leading to Admission to Universities), the only authorities capable of determining equivalencies are specially trained officials at an institution where one wishes to pursue further studies. And such evaluations would not actually "convert" a diploma from one system into a diploma from another system; they simply serve to determine whether or not an applicant meets entrance requirements.

In the case of individuals applying for jobs, visas, etc., however, there are no such solutions. How to resolve that dilemma would depend on what kind of proof is being required of the applicant, and on how savvy the employer/immigration official/etc. happens to be.

So... for what purpose do you need to determine that equivalency?

Yolanda Broad

Jenya Meltser-Rakevich
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The purpose is applying for a job Dec 3, 2007

The purpose is to apply for a job. As I mentioned before, in America when one studies music, an instrument at a conservatory, he is able to receive an MA, but in Russia, all that music majors could receive was an amount of years studied at a specific school, and instead of a BA or an MA, one would receive a diploma of completion of studies.

What do you think could be done? Maybe I should also contact a music conservatory. They would probably have an idea.

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:26
Member (2005)
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Check this out Dec 3, 2007

Hi,

Here is an informative link.
http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html

Good luck,

Nizam

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:26
Italian to Russian
+ ...
May be here as well.. Dec 3, 2007

http://www.affordabledegrees.com/ADA/degreeprograms.asp

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Online "degree mills" Dec 3, 2007

Save your money! Here's a list of Nonrecognized Accreditation Agencies, including the two listed by Rochville:

BOUA - Board of Online Universities Accreditation
UCOEAA - Universal Council for Online Education Accreditation

http://www.credentialwatch.org/non/agencies.shtml

Yolanda Broad

OTOH, the link Nizamettin Yigit found for you could be shared with the folks where you are applying for that job - it *does* have useful information! http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html

Best of luck with your job application.

Yolanda

Evgenia Mussuri
United States
Partial member
English to Russian
+ ...
Another link Dec 4, 2007

I have never used them. But I know some people who did for the immigration purposes.
Good luck!

http://www.foreignconsultants.com/

Olga Dubeshka  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
ask at the conservatory too Dec 4, 2007

Hi Jenia,

This is a very common problem for a lot of immigrants. Once in US, our
BA, MA and so on might mean little to employers/universities here. For all they know they might be fake. That is why in order to be recognized, diplomas MUST
not only be translated , but also evaluated by a reputable agency - meaning they will basically count all the hours and issue a document that states what your "foreign" issued diploma or degree corresponds to in US educational system
(judging by the number of hours you took and such).

This is required of all students with previous foreign degrees enrolling in US Universities. However, your music diploma is a bit different . It would be a good idea to contact music school/conservatory since I am sure they would have some idea of how to go about it.

Also, check this out :
http://www.edupass.org/admissions/evaluation.phtml

It gives a lot of options on diploma evaluations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andy Lemminger[Call to this topic]
Margarita[Call to this topic]
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]
Jenn Mercer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to get an equivalent of a foreign diploma in the US

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »