Yet another "invitation to register on our database"
Thread poster: Jana Teteris

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:20
Latvian to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

I receive "invitations" to register my details on various agencies' databases on a regular basis and tend to ignore them, as we all know that these endless database forms rarely lead to actual work.

But I was intrigued by one of today's invitations (which, as per usual, asked me to provide everything under the sun apart from my shoe size):

..."Please note that we need your date of birth to check your qualifications on an International database"....

I'm not planning to fill out their forms, but am fascinated by this "international database".

Any ideas as to what this could be?

n.b. This is not a government body, but an agency with a very poor BB rating.

Direct link Reply with quote

Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 04:20
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
International database Dec 6, 2007

Sounds like Interpol or Europol to me. Perhaps they want to check whether you have a criminal record? I wouldn't bother to register, myself.

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Waste of time Dec 7, 2007

Well, it was already noted that all those agencies who ask for all these "online forms" actually never give you any job. Let alone, it takes time to fill those application bedsheets, and there are so many nonsenses that it is difficult to understand what they actually need to be written or privided (I had one "form" where one client asked me where I buy grammar books - what city, what bookshops with titles, etc. - I hardly believe they even know what continent my country is - why they need that info?

And a vice versa rule - those who are serious, they have no time for all that nonsense. They simply give work.

One more thing - always have in mind that this is personal information. And personal information is sensitive. Best is to ask oneself a question - do I trust these people? Do I want all my personal info travel all around the world to whomever...? Do you give your CV or show your passport to all people in the street?

Be careful and do not waste your time...

xxxNicoletta F
English to Italian
I agree with everything you've said... Dec 7, 2007

I'm now quite sure that real reasons behind such detailed requests are:
-market research
-selling your email and data to other subjects for market research too
-selling your email and data to other subjects to sell you something
(my former university, my bank and my GP too did it ... it's sad but I know it for sure)
That's where spamming comes from, translation assignments usually don't
Apart from agencies, one of the most unpleasant things that happened to me after sending detailed CV+presentation letter+history of my life so far+reasons for applying for a specific position, in the province I live, has been this: the company I sent the whole thing bankrupted or sold the building, and left EVERYTHING in it (and we do have specific laws on handling sensitive data in Italy too...)
After a couple of years a friend of friends of mine went to work there, and for a company having nothing to do with the former, and asked me 'why is your CV here'???
Actually, my Cv applied for a CEO's secretary position for an import-export food company, when the new company just employed *male* miners and wasn't looking for them either...
Embarassing?

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
They might be astrology concerned :-D Dec 7, 2007

They don't care so much about specialization, but just the translator's sign.

Their guru, after having smoked the dried leaves from some unidentified flora, told them to get Virgos to translate financial reports, Capricorns to translate long software manuals, and so on.

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:20
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You've hit the nail on the head! Dec 7, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Their guru, after having smoked the dried leaves from some unidentified flora, told them to get Virgos to translate financial reports, Capricorns to translate long software manuals, and so on.

xxxNicoletta F
English to Italian
Thanks Josè Dec 7, 2007

Thanks Josè for illuminating me...
Indeed, being born in January, I've always felt an irresistible attraction for long software manuals but managed to avoid them until now...
Maybe I was wrong...

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
:D :D :D :D Dec 10, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Nothing to add to that Josè, you have a super sense of humour !!!!!! A diamond of the forums!!!! Can's stop laughing

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another "invitation to register on our database"

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs